Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers are a passing team

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

The Steelers are a passing team

This Steelers team is unlike any the New England Patriots have played before, not even like the one they toyed with in November at Heinz Field, and certainly not like the ones they used as steppingstones to a couple Super Bowls in the first half of the previous decade.

People keep asking coach Mike Tomlin and his players what their identity is on offense, and, after seven games, it's pretty clear that they have become a team that will use its best talent. Its best talent is the guy who throws the football and those who catch it.

At age 29, Ben Roethlisberger is in his prime, and he's on a roll. He's second in the AFC with 1,937 passing yards, on pace to shatter his own team record. Mike Wallace is back averaging more than 20 yards a catch, and his 730 yards rank third in the league. He is on pace to shatter the team's receiving record.

They also are getting more production from their second-year receivers, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, and tight end Heath Miller is starting to play a bigger role.

What better opportunity -- or is it necessity -- for the Steelers to lean on their passing game and, perhaps, crank it up more than this Sunday when they play the Patriots?

"Exactly, that's what we're out to prove," said Sanders, who could play a larger role Sunday if Hines Ward's ankle does not respond before then.
    "I feel like we can score with any team in the league," Wallace said. "We just have to be on top of our game."

Long gone is any myth that the Steelers have a good running game. They rank in the middle of the pack, No. 14. Rashard Mendenhall, the halfback coordinator Bruce Arians said everything revolves around in the offense, has only 351 yards and is on pace to have his least productive season since his rookie year in 2008.

More proof:
    The Steelers have run the ball just 42.5 percent of the time. That's their second-lowest percentage in at least the past 20 seasons. The only time they ran it less often over an entire season came in 2009, when they did so 42.2 percent, which prompted team president Art Rooney II to urge them to run it better.

Many times over the past decade they have run it more than 50 percent and even hit 61.1 in '04. Those days are gone.

"I think Bruce Arians is doing a great job of understanding the talent that he has," Sanders said. "He's putting in practices, he's putting in plays that go toward our strengths as receivers. Mike is a burner, A.B. is a playmaker, I'm a playmaker. He's putting in plays that are paying off."

They may need those plays and more Sunday.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers have been evolving into this offense for the last few years. Bill Cowher tried to do it with Tommy Maddox but we all saw what happened there. Back then his team wasn't built to be a past first type of offense.

This team can do that, if they just do it in the right way. Going deep is great, we all love seeing Wallace streaking down the middle of the field and making the big 50 yd. catch. I just want to see this team use the passing game as a secondary running game, use it to set up the run. You still need to run the ball to win in the NFL, there is no question. You have too though, if you're going to be a pass first offense, use the passing effectively and make the high percentage throws, quickly.

They never do this consistently and if they don't start doing it it's going to come back and bite them.

Starter
    I really don't know what to think about all of this. It seems we planned on being a running team, but by default we are now a passing team. If Mendy and the line could just do better and pose a consistent threat, we would easily be destroying opponents.

We could have a serious running threat, both short and long yardage, a short/medium range threat with Miller and Ward, and of course Wallace, Brown, and Sanders. And then of course the "x" factor, Ben, who can make plays like no other.

If all of this would just gel we would be destroying people. Instead we seem to let the other team dictate how we play.

Look for this team to spread out the Pats and beat them using the tools they've been beaten with..

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Look for this team to spread out the Pats and beat them using the tools they've been beaten with..
    Were giving them Arians?

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Were giving them Arians?
    LOL, he wouldn't be allowed to scrape the sludge out of Bradys jock..

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    The Steelers have been evolving into this offense for the last few years. Bill Cowher tried to do it with Tommy Maddox but we all saw what happened there. Back then his team wasn't built to be a past first type of offense.

This team can do that, if they just do it in the right way. Going deep is great, we all love seeing Wallace streaking down the middle of the field and making the big 50 yd. catch. I just want to see this team use the passing game as a secondary running game, use it to set up the run. You still need to run the ball to win in the NFL, there is no question. You have too though, if you're going to be a pass first offense, use the passing effectively and make the high percentage throws, quickly.

They never do this consistently and if they don't start doing it it's going to come back and bite them.
    Well said.

I believe you can win championships by: passing to open up the run, OR
    running to open up the pass

THE KEY: You must consistently be able to get about 4 yards on first down. Regardless if it's a short pass or run.

My Mood
    Addicted
    We better be a passing team on Sunday..

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    We better be a passing team on Sunday..
    I disagree! Only if we have too! If we can run, then run. The best defense against brady is ball control on offense!keep brady off the field. If we don`t run well. the short pass them to death!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairwayto7 View Post
    I disagree! Only if we have too! If we can run, then run. The best defense against brady is ball control on offense!keep brady off the field. If we don`t run well. the short pass them to death!
    Yeah, let's hand it off to Mendy 30 times so he can get his 3 yards a carry

If we had good play calling in the run game, I would say run it down their throats. But Bruce Arians is absolutely awful at calling a creative and well planned run game. In this game, everyone has to play to their strengths, unfortunately that includes our OC.

Thread Information