Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London calling: NFL to hold regular-season game in England

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

London calling: NFL to hold regular-season game in England

LONDON (AP) -- London will hold the NFL's first regular-season game outside North America, beating out several German cities for the 2007 contest.
    The opponents have yet to be announced, and the most likely venue is the new Wembley Stadium, which is to open this spring after years of delays.
    "There is no better place to begin this initiative than London," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday. "It is one of the great cities of the world with an established and growing fan base for our game."
    The Miami Dolphins are believed to be a front-runner as the host team. Goodell is expected to announce game details before the Feb. 4 Super Bowl in Miami.
    NFL owners voted in October to play up to two games outside the United States every season for the next five years. Britain, Germany, Canada and Mexico have been identified as the top markets for NFL games outside the United States. China and Japan were ruled out of the running.
    "There are many NFL fans in London -- both American and non-American -- and this will be a spectacular sporting occasion," London Mayor Ken Livingstone said. "After it success in winning the 2012 Olympics and Parlalympic Games, we want to bring Londoners the greatest of non-Olympic sports."
    The NFL staged its first regular-season game outside the United States in 2005. The Arizona Cardinals played the San Francisco 49ers before a crowd of 103,467 in Mexico City.
    London hosted several NFL American Bowl preseason games in the 1990s. The city also had the London Monarchs in the World Football League -- now NFL Europe -- but the team folded.
    How far will you travel to see your favorite team play?

I can see going to Canada to watch the Steelers, but Damn, all the way to England!
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

House of Steel
    tell us something we don't already know, You just don't get it do you?

Well now it's more definate, there is going to be a football game outside of the US. If anything I'm sure the Steeler Nation International over there would love to see them play....but it is yet to be seen as to who will play the Dolphins....are they on the Steelers schedule next year?

BuFu

My Mood
    Addicted
    I do believe we play the AFC East this year.

House of Steel
    We got New England to play, so yeah, we do play the AFC East.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Just a thought If the NFL is going to take games to England,ETC. How long will it be Before they decide to combine NFL with NFL Europe? It would make for a definite true World Bowl.
    Or maybe even make 50 different teams and you can draft from all over the world like they do in other Pro.Sports
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

IMO, if my team that I had season tickets too ended up playing a home game somewhere else that I could not attend I would be pissed because I would like I was getting snubbed a home game that I would normally be attending.

As for the NFL combining with NFL Europe... this will never happen because NFLE is equivalent to the replacements of the strike in 87!

House of Steel
    That would be the dumbest thing to happen, Capt. Listen to me, if the NFL combined them both, then my question is, why the hell did the NFL wasted their time and money investing in NFL Europe? Think about it, they are doing fine in Europe, maybe they just want to bring American Football to Europe for one game to see how it work. They couldn't possible schedule all 32 teams here and there. Most franchises couldn't afford to travel internationally to compete. It is all about economics and common sense. As Chris would say, the home game snubbed would totally **** a lot of fans off. Philly told me NFLEurope is there for one thing, developing players that wouldn't make it on a regular season roster.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I hate the idea of playing meaningful regular season games in other countries. I had no problem in the past with the NFL playing pre-season games in countries like Ireland, Japan or where ever across the globe. But playing a regular season game is stupid. I could careless if the rest of the world liked the NFL. Its American game.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    IMO, if my team that I had season tickets too ended up playing a home game somewhere else that I could not attend I would be pissed because I would like I was getting snubbed a home game that I would normally be attending.

As for the NFL combining with NFL Europe... this will never happen because NFLE is equivalent to the replacements of the strike in 87!
    Never say never AZ, it's all about the Money. I just like to see how well Miami plays the following week after they have to travel all that ways
    They'll have to start practice for their next game on the plane
    -unknown

Thread Information