Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defense for the Pats game

Bookmark and Share
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    I say we take a 15 yard penalty and drill him right out of the gate. Partially kidding here. . .
    I realize you're kidding, but being able to pressure Brade and knock him down (especially with a hard hit) will go a long way to getting him off his game. As long as Tomlin doesn't pull a Garrett in the end.

Hitting Brady would be great, considering Pretty Boy doesn't like to be hit. Last season, we didn't get a sniff of him - didn't even knock him down. That can't happen and expect for the Steelers to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Hitting Brady would be great, considering Pretty Boy doesn't like to be hit. Last season, we didn't get a sniff of him - didn't even knock him down. That can't happen and expect for the Steelers to win.
    We HAVE to get to Brady!
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

I was thinking last night maybe this is what the steelers should do on defense:
    Put Mundy in at strong safety and play polamalu as a MLB just for this game. Then Troy can attack if it's a run play or cover a TE if it's a passing play. Then have Ike follow Welker around for most of the day. On some plays Troy could even sneak over to Woodley's side to wreak havoc. Mundy can double coverage Welker or take a TE.

this isnt madden, but i would expect to see a lot of nickel and dime...and even mundy and lewis being on the field over clark, who can be a likely canidate to get benched at any given time vs a passing team

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    this isnt madden, but i would expect to see a lot of nickel and dime...and even mundy and lewis being on the field over clark, who can be a likely canidate to get benched at any given time vs a passing team
    Well it's worth a try against somebody who absolutely owns us. Troy has been put in as a CB with mundy at SS during some plays this year.

That's fair, Clark is overrated in coverage. While the Steelers can't or shouldn't reinvent the wheel on defense, the biggest thing they can do is stuff any running game the Pats try to execute, and they cannot allow the Pats receivers, and I mean all receivers to get a free release off the LOS. They have to be in their face and just chip away them at the snap of the ball. In the meantime, The interior 3 (or 4) must get pressure up the middle.

Outside of maybe Dallas, the Pats haven't played a physical team like the Steelers yet this year, and they were lucky to win that Dallas game. Stay physical, stay smart, and don't give these nit nats from NE any free 1st downs!

My Mood
    Chatty
    If we mad pressure Brady and don't turn the ball over we are winning this game hands down...I know before I was saying that we should take a bye for this game...BUT i dont' see the stellar football the Pats played in beginning of the season...We can't allow Brady to dink and dunk like he ALWAYS does...Mad pressure, no turnovers.. Steelers Victory

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Most of Brady's passing yards are via the YAC (Yards After Catch). . .shut down the Punch and Judy passing game, and the Steelers have a shot.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Lebeau has really started using more nickel and dime in the last few weeks so I could definitely see that being a possibility. There's 2 schools of thought when defending Brady. Pressure him like crazy and hope you get there leaving your secondary to go 1 on 1 and hope they can make the play. Or drop everybody back and make him work for every yard, being sure to make the tackle as soon as the receiver catches it. Give everyone help in the passing game and leave no one one on one if you can help it.

Lebeau usually just plays "his defense" no matter who the opponent is but I have to wonder if maybe this year he'll change things up.

Thread Information