Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ike on Welker? Yes or No

Bookmark and Share

Ike on Welker? Yes or No

If you were Tomlin would you put Ike on Welker for most of the game, the beg of the game, off and on during the whole game or what would you do?

I would put Ike on him ALL game. I worry about Branch also, but my biggest fear is welker getting 5 yard receptions and then turning them in 15+ gainers. Ike is our Best CB and I would put him on welker all game long and put Lewis or Gay on Branch with help over the top. I think Ike can get the job done.

What do you guys think?

My Mood
    Fight
    Is there any other choice?
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

It won't matter unless we get physical with him. Have to bump him off of his routes. But tbh I'm more worried about their TEs.

My Mood
    Manic
    First of all anyone can cover Branch since when is he special? Hopefully Worilds is ready to go so we can sit Farrior down he is too slow to cover anyone. He gave up a 78 yd td last week on a shallow crossing route just like Welker will be running. We should double Welker whenever possible .Take away the middle of the field as much as possible. Pressure and Sack Brady as much as possible is the most obvious plan

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Seeing that Welker plays mostly slot receiver Ike will see very little of him.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Welker gets loose for a second usually means trouble. Branch, maybe.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wes Welker not only is New England's best receiver, he leads the NFL with an average of 130.8 yards per game. But do not expect Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor to follow the usual plan that has him cover the other team's best.

Welker often lines up in the slot, and Taylor covers receivers who line up wide.
    "As I sit here right now, I am not comfortable with saying that Ike is going to follow him down-in and down-out," Tomlin said. "That might be a little bit out of Ike's comfort zone.
    "This guy spends a lot of time in interior formations at the No. 2 position, No. 3 position and slot formations. Ike is an outside corner, so I am not ready at this juncture to even say that this is going to be an element of this thing."

no way....much rather see gay on him or troy somewhat manned up on him. Ike is gonna play branch and chad johnson, niether "special" but guys you dont wanna let beat you.

ike on welker is a mismatch, just like gay on TO was a mismatch last year, or gay on Gronk, ike doesnt have to quicks to stick with welker all game long, and hes not a slot corner, gay is

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Normally I'd say you put your best cover guy on their best WR, but in this case I say no for a couple of reasons.

1. We don't play up tight, bump n run coverage anyway so that probably wouldn't fit into any of our DB's skill set.

2. Ktrain is correct about speed. Ike is a fast dude, but there is a big difference between speed and quickness. Welker has the quicks that I don't believe Ike has.

Much as it pains me, put Gay on him or at the very least Lewis who will physically abuse him with his size.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    no way....much rather see gay on him or troy somewhat manned up on him. Ike is gonna play branch and chad johnson, niether "special" but guys you dont wanna let beat you.

ike on welker is a mismatch, just like gay on TO was a mismatch last year, or gay on Gronk, ike doesnt have to quicks to stick with welker all game long, and hes not a slot corner, gay is
    Who's Chad Johnson?

Thread Information