Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Establish the run or pass?

Bookmark and Share

Establish the run or pass?

The common suggestion is to beat the pats you must run the ball and keep Brady on the sidelines. However our running game is inconsistent and the patriots pass D is terrible. I think we should just use the short pass game to control the clock like what the patriots do. What do you think?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If the Steelers were smart, they would use the short passing game right out of the gate, give the Patriots a taste of their own medicine. Basically see if they can stop what they their offense plays every week.

The Patriots are at the bottom of the league in pass defense, if you don't attack them through the air then you might as well not show up. Arians needs to make sure he doesn't get sucked into the "we have to go down field" 15 times a game mentality like we saw a couple weeks ago. Take what they give you and mix in the long plays when they are available. When Ben sees a 1 on 1 with Wallace or some situation where there's a receiver uncovered or maybe a DB playing very far off the line, then you audible into a play that can get you a big chunk of yardage.

With the Patriots it's all about being patient. That's what Brady does. They are happy with 6-7 yds. a pass and then break one for 15 yds here and there. They'll march down the field, wear out your defense and score.

Establish the SMACKDOWN!!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    If the Steelers were smart, they would use the short passing game right out of the gate, give the Patriots a taste of their own medicine. Basically see if they can stop what they their offense plays every week.

The Patriots are at the bottom of the league in pass defense, if you don't attack them through the air then you might as well not show up. Arians needs to make sure he doesn't get sucked into the "we have to go down field" 15 times a game mentality like we saw a couple weeks ago. Take what they give you and mix in the long plays when they are available. When Ben sees a 1 on 1 with Wallace or some situation where there's a receiver uncovered or maybe a DB playing very far off the line, then you audible into a play that can get you a big chunk of yardage.

With the Patriots it's all about being patient. That's what Brady does. They are happy with 6-7 yds. a pass and then break one for 15 yds here and there. They'll march down the field, wear out your defense and score.
    Yea Brady does that for the most part but then boom he will hit you deep like he did with Deion Branch in the 2004 AFC title game.......The short passing game will allow for the deep ball to open up eventually......I think Belichick will do put a plan in place to limit Mike Wallace.....So Brown and Sanders better be ready to play a huge role this week......This might finally be the game were Ben finally connects deep with Sanders or Brown......

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I'd say the ground game is most important. Time of possession is always important but it's especially so when you're going up against Brady. I'd love to see a solid ground game (REDMAN PLEASE?) and those short dink and dunk passes that you and BlitzburghRockCity mentioned. I'd really love our chances should we be able to do that.

--- Added 10/25/2011 at 09:52 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Establish the SMACKDOWN!!!
    Or this. Pretty much...
    Last edited by Diehardsteel; 10-25-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Veteran
    I would love to see them rush on the first play, and then on the 2nd, look for a long bomb to Wallace to show that we have quick strike capability and they need to respect that. That should loosen the Pats D and help in the short passing and run game.

i think you gotta run mendenhall outside early and often. dont wanna run right at wilfork and haynesworth, but the ground game is definitely effective against them on the outside

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think you gotta run mendenhall outside early and often. dont wanna run right at wilfork and haynesworth, but the ground game is definitely effective against them on the outside
    They look susceptible to stretch plays from what I have seen; their guys over pursue a lot. Still, Arians will decide they need to play smashmouth football and he'll run straight into the line.

My honest opinion here? You have to establish the running game. BUT. . . I'm sure NE will execute a lot of run blitzes on 1st down (especially). Regarding personnel, I believe that Redman is better suited to run vs the Pats than Mendy. He is a harder, more punishing runner and would hope if the game dictates such, he is able to get about 15 carries. I would still use Mendy, but would make sure Red gets his share of carries here.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Pass, not even a question in my mind, especially if they give 99% of the touches to Mendy and don't give the other RBs an opportunity. With the weapons that we have in the passing game, we should be able to shred up their secondary. But, we "should" be able to shred most secondaries, if it weren't for a certain person on the coaching staff that screws us over every game.

Thread Information