Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albert Haynesworth & Vince Wilfork vs the Steelers offensive line

Bookmark and Share
    There is no doubt in my mind that if there is any coach to come up with a plan to stop Wallace it is BB. I don't at all like the guy but the guy is nothing short of brilliant, especially against the Steelers. The patriots offense just match up so well against Steelers defense its borderline unfair. I know I'm being really pessimistic about this game but I am having a very hard time finding anything which points towards a Steelers victory maybe but homefield advantage (even though Patriots usually travel really well). Hopefully Steelers prove me wrong though.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that if there is any coach to come up with a plan to stop Wallace it is BB. I don't at all like the guy but the guy is nothing short of brilliant, especially against the Steelers. The patriots offense just match up so well against Steelers defense its borderline unfair. I know I'm being really pessimistic about this game but I am having a very hard time finding anything which points towards a Steelers victory maybe but homefield advantage (even though Patriots usually travel really well). Hopefully Steelers prove me wrong though.
    I think everyone from both fanbases gets nervous when these two teams meet. It's usually a hard-fought battle. Granted, we have had more luck in the last decade against your team than you against us, but you know the old saying, Any Given Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan1 View Post
    I think everyone from both fanbases gets nervous when these two teams meet. It's usually a hard-fought battle. Granted, we have had more luck in the last decade against your team than you against us, but you know the old saying, Any Given Sunday.
    Certainly. As I said, I hope they can surprise me. But if you break it down the match-up is not at all favorable for Steelers:

First of all, Steelers stop the run. Patriots don't run the ball so that is a wasted effort (exaggeration is a wonderful thing). So the Patriots will come out throwing. That is usually not bad news as such for Steelers. However, BB and Brady knows exactly how to attack us. Short drops and quick releases all night long to those two pesky TEs and Welker. Steelers have nothing to stop it. Their zones usually player deeper which leaves Farrior and Foote to cover them. Oh the horror.

Steelers are capable of putting up quite a few points as well, but they are really not interested in scoring fast TDs. They want to keep Brady off the field. Sadly we only have 1 starter left from the original o-line which limits the productivity quite a bit. add to that fact that patriots rank dead last against the pass and we SHOULD see Steelers trying to air it out. However, Steelers don't use the same short drop-back systems such as the Patriots. We're all about the deep throw these days which is fine against a lesser talented d-line but I foresee Big Ben spending a lot of time on his back if they don't find a way to get rid of the ball early. Excuse my negativity, but I don't at all trust BA to find a solution to that.

To me, the only way Steelers can win this is by having a great day on the ground or hoping for our pass-rush to deliver miracles. If not, Brady is going to destroy us, sadly.

Little sad fact: In the Patriots' past two games against them, dating to 2007, Brady has completed 70 percent of his passes for 749 yards with seven touchdowns and no interceptions.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Waterboy
    Certainly. As I said, I hope they can surprise me. But if you break it down the match-up is not at all favorable for Steelers:

First of all, Steelers stop the run. Patriots don't run the ball so that is a wasted effort (exaggeration is a wonderful thing). So the Patriots will come out throwing. That is usually not bad news as such for Steelers. However, BB and Brady knows exactly how to attack us. Short drops and quick releases all night long to those two pesky TEs and Welker. Steelers have nothing to stop it. Their zones usually player deeper which leaves Farrior and Foote to cover them. Oh the horror.

Steelers are capable of putting up quite a few points as well, but they are really not interested in scoring fast TDs. They want to keep Brady off the field. Sadly we only have 1 starter left from the original o-line which limits the productivity quite a bit. add to that fact that patriots rank dead last against the pass and we SHOULD see Steelers trying to air it out. However, Steelers don't use the same short drop-back systems such as the Patriots. We're all about the deep throw these days which is fine against a lesser talented d-line but I foresee Big Ben spending a lot of time on his back if they don't find a way to get rid of the ball early. Excuse my negativity, but I don't at all trust BA to find a solution to that.

To me, the only way Steelers can win this is by having a great day on the ground or hoping for our pass-rush to deliver miracles. If not, Brady is going to destroy us, sadly.

Little sad fact: In the Patriots' past two games against them, dating to 2007, Brady has completed 70 percent of his passes for 749 yards with seven touchdowns and no interceptions.
    I get what you're saying. Ben is not adept at getting rid of the ball quickly and definitely holds on too long waiting for a WR to open up down field. I don't know if that's just him or if it's your OC or a combination. It does become predictable but not always stoppable, so you have that. I'm hoping that our D finally learns how to sack but I'm not going to hang my hat on it.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Nobody gave the Steelers much of a chance with a rookie QB in 2004 to beat the Pats led by Brady but they did....I agree the Pats always match up well with the Steelers and its going to take flawless execution by the Steelers to beat the Pats......Plus the Steelers D must force some turn overs like that game in 2004....Easier said then done no doubt......The Steelers must find a way to pressure Marsha.....sorry Patsfan1 just alittle friendly jab there....lol

Its going to be interesting to see how the Steelers plan on how they cover Gronk/Hernandez....I'm sure Ike will shadow Welker all over the field.....But please no Willie Gay on Gronk this year.....lol It was unfair to ask Gay to cover Gronk last year....

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan1 View Post
    I get what you're saying. Ben is not adept at getting rid of the ball quickly and definitely holds on too long waiting for a WR to open up down field. I don't know if that's just him or if it's your OC or a combination. It does become predictable but not always stoppable, so you have that. I'm hoping that our D finally learns how to sack but I'm not going to hang my hat on it.
    Its Ben all the way. Very few plays in any NFL playbook will have your QB holding the ball for very long. It should be noted though that many times, Ben does not really hold on to the ball for that long he just have to run away because the line is unable to give him any time in there. Man, I would love to see our WRs and Big Ben standing behind Texans o-line or something like that.

--- Added 10/25/2011 at 06:07 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Nobody gave the Steelers much of a chance with a rookie QB in 2004 to beat the Pats led by Brady but they did....I agree the Pats always match up well with the Steelers and its going to take flawless execution by the Steelers to beat the Pats......Plus the Steelers D must force some turn overs like that game in 2004....Easier said then done no doubt......The Steelers must find a way to pressure Marsha.....sorry Patsfan1 just alittle friendly jab there....lol

Its going to be interesting to see how the Steelers plan on how they cover Gronk/Hernandez....I'm sure Ike will shadow Welker all over the field.....But please no Willie Gay on Gronk this year.....lol It was unfair to ask Gay to cover Gronk last year....
    I'm hoping to see some Keenan Lewis instead of Gay and our MLBs. I actually think he has been doing really well when asked to match up close to the line.

My Mood
    Mad
    Its Ben all the way. Very few plays in any NFL playbook will have your QB holding the ball for very long. It should be noted though that many times, Ben does not really hold on to the ball for that long he just have to run away because the line is unable to give him any time in there. Man, I would love to see our WRs and Big Ben standing behind Texans o-line or something like that.

--- Added 10/25/2011 at 06:07 PM ---

I'm hoping to see some Keenan Lewis instead of Gay and our MLBs. I actually think he has been doing really well when asked to match up close to the line.
    I'm with you on Lewis...He at least has the size to match up with Gronk...Can he get the job done is the question....?

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post

Nothing I haven't heard before.

Our Oline has been stellar, and Vollmer looks to be coming back this week, which frees up Solder to block on the right instead of a TE. They're going to be tough to get through. I think we'll see a lot paths opened up for BJGE, so watch out for the running game. It's been a lot more balanced the last couple of games.

The problem with covering Gronk is you need to double cover him, and he still catches everything. And if you do that, you're leaving someone open, whether it's Branch, who catches everything, or Welker, who catches everything and more. His YAC this year have been spectacular. So if you double up on any one of these guys, Brady is going to the two TEs or Welker underneath. So, yes, the key to this offense is to get to Brady first, but it's going to be tough against our Oline. He'll throw quick screens all day to someone, and let's not forget about Woodhead, who excels at the short pass and sneaks under for 10 yards.

All I know is if the Pats want to win this game, they have to perfect on offense because the D isn't going to carry us against your team.

My Mood
    Mad
    JensK I just would like to see Ben stand behind the same OL for more then one game....7 different line combinations in 7 games......lol

My Mood
    Addicted
    Ah, that's what we all hope. But, it'll probably be more of Farrior on receivers that he has no business trying to cover, unfortunately.

Thread Information