Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers can't play to not lose the game against the Patriots

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Steelers can't play to not lose the game against the Patriots

Anyone who watched the Patriots and Cowboys game last week knows that you can never count the Patriots offense down for the count. Ever. Even if the score is 20-0 with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter, or any other ridiculous scenario. You simply cannot underestimate what Tom Brady can do. Ironically, playing to win the game is something that, as we've seen far too often this year, the Steelers can't do. We discussed it on the gameday thread, that once they're up by one score, they go both into prevent defense and prevent offense mode. Prevent defense to prevent the score (which obviously never works), prevent offense to prevent the turnover.

Not saying that it's impossible by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that the Steelers play up to their opponent is something that could very well help them in this game. But, if they want to be competitive with the Patriots, which is something that they've definitely had some trouble with in the past, they need to keep the pedal to the metal, both on offense and on defense, through the entire 60 minutes.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The Steelers execution has to be flawless period against New England.....No stupid penalties to kill drives and Arians must go for the kill shot every time......I'm not saying throw deep every play but if Ben and the passing game is in sync then keep throwing the ball period......Don't go run heavy if you have a lead......I really don't expect the Steelers defense to stop Brady and the Pats offense unless they force some turn overs like they did back in 2004 in Ben's rookie year.....The Steelers jumped on the Pats early in that game and the Steelers need to do that again to beat Brady......I'm confident the Steelers offense can match the Pats.....The young WR's are improving and the OL has looked solid.....

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm not worried about our offense in this game because, as much as some people on this board would like to disagree, their defense just is not as good as it used to be by far. I'm worried about our defense being picked apart by Brady and Welker. Our team needs to take a good look at some of the game film from teams who have somewhat kept the Patriots offense in check, mimick that, and do it for the entire game.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    I'm not worried about our offense in this game because, as much as some people on this board would like to disagree, their defense just is not as good as it used to be by far. I'm worried about our defense being picked apart by Brady and Welker. Our team needs to take a good look at some of the game film from teams who have somewhat kept the Patriots offense in check, mimick that, and do it for the entire game.
    Well the offense will have to match 'Brady and the Pats point for point...I don't expect the Steelers D to stop Brady at all...He just kills us...Unless the Steelers force some early turn overs like they did vs the Pats and Brady back in 2004 at Heinz Field....Townsend had a pick six in that game and I believe Ike even had a pick if memory serves me correct.....

My Mood
    Manic
    I'm not worried about the defense .Even though then offense looked good i think that the offense plays not to lose more than the defense. The defense is getting stronger and younger

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I'm not worried about the defense .Even though then offense looked good i think that the offense plays not to lose more than the defense. The defense is getting stronger and younger
    Heyward and Hood must pressure Brady.....along with Keisel........Brady and Pats always seem to pick up our blitzes......The DL will be key in this game.....

My Mood
    Addicted
    This game will most likely be a shoot out. Like I said, it's not our offense I'm worried about. Ben and the young guys will put up some big numbers against a deflated Patriots defense. It's our defense that needs to step up big time and show the rest of the league what they're made of. Brady will put up a lot of points, obviously. He always does against the Steelers. But it's a matter of putting a stop to it at times, not letting him march up and down the field on every drive.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    This game will most likely be a shoot out. Like I said, it's not our offense I'm worried about. Ben and the young guys will put up some big numbers against a deflated Patriots defense. It's our defense that needs to step up big time and show the rest of the league what they're made of. Brady will put up a lot of points, obviously. He always does against the Steelers. But it's a matter of putting a stop to it at times, not letting him march up and down the field on every drive.
    Like I said forcing some turn overs like the Steelers D did in 2004....I'm not counting on it though and I'm thinking the Steelers offense must win this game for us....I just don't see the Steelers D pressuring Brady consistently unless the Steelers D can get to Brady by rushing just 3 or 4 men.......I would say blitz his *** but he seems to kills us when we do....lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I just want them to hit the film room ASAP. Study, study, and study. It should be an interesting game. I'm still not really sure what to expect from the Steelers next sunday.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Well the offense will have to match 'Brady and the Pats point for point...I don't expect the Steelers D to stop Brady at all...He just kills us...Unless the Steelers force some early turn overs like they did vs the Pats and Brady back in 2004 at Heinz Field....Townsend had a pick six in that game and I believe Ike even had a pick if memory serves me correct.....
    I agree, if this game is anything other than a shootout I'll probably be surprised. The Steelers defense has never been able to stop the Pats when Brady is at QB. If they can force some turnovers though that will be huge; and dare I say necessary to win.

Ben and our offense against the Patriot defense doesn't worry me all that much. Although I'm not 100% confident because Belichick is a gameplan genius. However, their D is very porous so far and Ben could have a huge day. They must play to win though as you all have said. Leave no points on the field, score every time you are in the red zone and take your shots down field with plays. If you go to sleep even with a lead, Brady will come back to bite you every time, guaranteed.

Thread Information