Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Running Game?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

Where is the Running Game?

I really felt like we'd be able to run the ball better against AZ but it was not to be. Still don't understand all these 3 tight end sets when they prove to be so ineffective. To be honest, 7 different Oline combos doesn't help but I would rather see us running from 3-wide than these jumbo packages. We don't need 170 yards per game but we have to at least make the defense respect the run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

It's hard to run the ball when your offensive line gets pushed into the backfield every time.

Deep in Enemy Territory 70 miles North of Bungleland
    Good thing we have a great Passing game.

The OL was commendable in Pass protection mode today. Obviously a lot to be desired in run blocking.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Mendenhall 13 rushes for 32 yds.
    Redman 6 rushes for 29 yds.
    Moore 6 rushes for 26 yds.

87 yds. total between the 3. If you saw one of the backs get that many yards you'd say they had a decent day. You could probably argue that the running game was just effective enough based on those numbers between the 3 backs.

However, I was thinking the Steelers could run the ball today better as well. They all but abandoned it in the 3rd quarter as Ben went to the air to try and put this game away. The pressure coming up the middle today was relentless, and blew up a lot of plays before they ever got started. That's pretty hard to overcome for anyone, however you throw in Mendenhall's dancing around and you can see where he struggled.

He had 1 run of 10 yds which was good, and he was able to get some tough yards. If you factor out that 10 yd run though he was 12 rushes for 22 yds, which is pretty bad no matter how you slice it. Sometimes you just have an off day on the ground and credit the Cardinals for running the same type of 34 defense that the Steelers do which is designed to stop the run. Having said that though, you would have expected them to be alittle more successful.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Once again Redman get 4.8 yds per carry but they refuse to give him more carries. I'm starting to think Ktrain is really Bruce Arians

After all why would you want a guy that twists and turns for extra yards when you have Mendenfall getting 2.5 yards per carry ?
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    Once again Redman get 4.8 yds per carry but they refuse to give him more carries. I'm starting to think Ktrain is really Bruce Arians
    interesting theory...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Said it in the gameday thread also. I was when the Steelers had a 1st and goal from the 3 and didn't give it to Isaac. You think he just got the nickname "Redzone Redman" by chance?

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Just to clarify the situation, we know Mendy is the starter but when Redman is gaining yards you stick with him.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Ya but notice redman and moore ran better than spindenfall. Ben only got sacked once, which is good in considering.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    Just to clarify the situation, we know Mendy is the starter but when Redman is gaining yards you stick with him.

You say that, I say that, most of the Steeler Nation says that but the coaches won't do it. They rarely stick with the hot hand when it comes to an established veteran that's been struggling. Mendy had a great game last week and that renewed any doubt that many people had. I'm the first one to cheer for him when he does well, he's part of the Steelers after all.

However I've been saying it all year long, save for a good performance here and there, Redman's running style is better suited to our offensive line, no question.

Thread Information