Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is playing overseas games really good for the NFL or just the NFL's wallet?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Is playing overseas games really good for the NFL or just the NFL's wallet?

The NFL is considering a plan to have a few teams play regularly in Britain to build an overseas following -- part of the league's evaluation about whether a franchise could be permanently based in London.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Saturday the league is looking into whether such a scenario would "advance our cause here by growing the fan base quicker." He is talking to several teams about becoming regulars in the British capital, a development he thinks would be "very powerful and lead us to what we ultimately would like to do -- have a franchise here in London."

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are making their second trip in three years to Wembley to play the Chicago Bears today. It is the fifth regular-season game held in London since 2007.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You know, I'm sorry, but this is just nothing more than the NFL trying to pad it's wallet. They are a marketing machine, I get that. They are a business, I get that too. And admittedly this business of playing a game every year isn't all that bad, but only one.

For them to actually consider a placing a permanent franchise overseas just takes away from our games here. It's not like we have 160+ games a year like other sports, we get 8 chances a year to see our team, 10 if you count preseason. For those that don't live near their favorite team, they get maybe 1 chance a year to see them if you're lucky, without traveling a significant distance. Tickets are getting higher every year and factoring in travel, hotel, food, and tailgating and not everybody has $400.00-$500.00 to blow on a weekend game. Now you consider taking away a game from the home fans.

Start the world league back up, start up a brand new overseas league and let them play an NFL team once in a while. NFL games are becoming more and more inaccessible to fans as it is, especially in this economy. **rant off**

My Mood
    Devilish
    wouldnt mind keeping the NFL exclusively in america. as long as we stop calling the SB winner the "World Champions". a minor pet peeve, but a pet peeve nonetheless. id love to see a couple of divisions set up over there to be honest, 8 more teams, one div per conference. hell, i would love to eventually see the game played in every industrialized nation just like that horrid "soccer" crap.

not that i think any other country would have a chance in hell of winning, but at least it would be a start. and there really are a lot of NFL fans out there. some pretty damn hardcore ones at that.

Obviously being a UK resident, a Brit, I can see this from an overhere standpoint.

I've attended the last 3 games at Wembley and had a great time, I've met fellow Steeler fans, made new friends and loved the real game experience.

I think your right, it is a profit related exercise as a whole - but they're just acting on the renewed popularity of the game over here. Within the past couple of weeks I've seen steeler t-shirts, jags jersey and broncos tops on people just in my local area, not everyone has such a sound knowledge of the game as perhaps I do, but then again I've been a fan since 1983!

I went to see the Monarchs when they played NYKnights in a great game in front of 60,000+ at Wembley, what a night that was, fantastic atmosphere!

I feel given time, maybe a franchise could work over here, but I wouldn't want to see that come at the detriment of the loss of a franchise stateside.

Another sticking point is, a lot of the Wembley crowd this afternoon will be made up of die hard football fans who's alegience to their chosen NFL team far out weighs their want of a new franchise to support in London.

The vast majority would rather see their team play in the States whilst on a holiday, than see their team play over here in front of a what is at best impartial crowd and dumbed down atmosphere.

Last year, I gave my backing to the home team niners, I was far more vocal in my support of them than several supposed American niner fans who spent most of the game tapping away on iPhones!

So in conclusion, there's passion, there's knowledge, there is a fan base to be tapped, so i can see it happen, looks like the NFL want to test out the water first, and with money at stake, hard to blame them.

I like the idea that the NFL is trying to expand the game beyond the states, failing to see. Any harm in it. But I for one, would struggle to ever be anything but a Steeler fan - I'm too far gone to pledge allegience to a new franchise, even if it is just 150 miles down the road.

Cheers

Go Steelers!

First I thought that playing oversea was a terrible idea, but honestly it is not. It helps promote the game outside of the states in a great way. It has caused many people to become fans within the timespan in which we've had a game in Europe. I really cannot see one single valid argument against it unless one wants to get really ultra nationalist and claim that football is American and American only in which case there is no point of arguing regardless. The game in Europe is huge for football elsewhere in the world and generates a lot of good rep for both NFL and the different football franchises.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSTEELER View Post
    Obviously being a UK resident, a Brit, I can see this from an overhere standpoint.

I've attended the last 3 games at Wembley and had a great time, I've met fellow Steeler fans, made new friends and loved the real game experience.

I think your right, it is a profit related exercise as a whole - but they're just acting on the renewed popularity of the game over here. Within the past couple of weeks I've seen steeler t-shirts, jags jersey and broncos tops on people just in my local area, not everyone has such a sound knowledge of the game as perhaps I do, but then again I've been a fan since 1983!

I went to see the Monarchs when they played NYKnights in a great game in front of 60,000+ at Wembley, what a night that was, fantastic atmosphere!

I feel given time, maybe a franchise could work over here, but I wouldn't want to see that come at the detriment of the loss of a franchise stateside.

Another sticking point is, a lot of the Wembley crowd this afternoon will be made up of die hard football fans who's alegience to their chosen NFL team far out weighs their want of a new franchise to support in London.

The vast majority would rather see their team play in the States whilst on a holiday, than see their team play over here in front of a what is at best impartial crowd and dumbed down atmosphere.

Last year, I gave my backing to the home team niners, I was far more vocal in my support of them than several supposed American niner fans who spent most of the game tapping away on iPhones!

So in conclusion, there's passion, there's knowledge, there is a fan base to be tapped, so i can see it happen, looks like the NFL want to test out the water first, and with money at stake, hard to blame them.

I like the idea that the NFL is trying to expand the game beyond the states, failing to see. Any harm in it. But I for one, would struggle to ever be anything but a Steeler fan - I'm too far gone to pledge allegience to a new franchise, even if it is just 150 miles down the road.

Cheers

Go Steelers!

My Mood
    Addicted
    UKSTEELER pretty much already said my main point about this. I just can't see a team based in London attracting many fans there. Football, obviously, is not as huge of a sport in the UK as it is in America, so I just can't see many people there getting into a London NFL team. It's like if we decided to place a national cricket team in the US. I don't think many people would care. Also, as he said, anyone in London who cares to watch football probably already is a fan of a team in the US.

Just out of curiosity from a fan-base standpoint: Why does it matter that the UK people already have their own favorite team? Couldn't the exact same thing be said about people in LA? Its not that I'm lobying for a team in Europe cause I think its a terrible idea only I am very sure that there would be a very big fan-base should it happen.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Another sticking point is, a lot of the Wembley crowd this afternoon will be made up of die hard football fans who's allegiance to their chosen NFL team far out weighs their want of a new franchise to support in London.

That's what I was thinking as well. It's not like they're aren't NFL fans all over the world who love watching their team regardless of location. While you would get some new fans that would join up and change sides, overall people aren't going to stop liking their favorite NFL team just because a new one is in town.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    That's what I was thinking as well. It's not like they're aren't NFL fans all over the world who love watching their team regardless of location. While you would get some new fans that would join up and change sides, overall people aren't going to stop liking their favorite NFL team just because a new one is in town.
    Again, how is that different from moving a team from one place in the states to another place in the states which does not have a football team? This is clearly hypothetical obviously but I am pretty sure that most people would like to actually get a chance to watch some live football more than once per year instead of being limited to a very expensive trip over the pound to watch a game regardless of loyalty. It is not like people would be forced into liking another team - that would be the same reason why most of us watch football even though Steelers don't play; even though we love Steelers we also love football. And who knows... Maybe with time people would learn to like to team - After all, there is not much difference from that to, for instance, what is going on in Jacksonville.

As I said, that is of course highly hypothetical and I personally loathe the idea of having a team in Europe for many reasons. I just don't see the argument about the fans cause they would most likely sell out every single game which is more than what could be said about some of the current NFL teams.

Thread Information