Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben wants to run the "no huddle"

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ben wants to run the "no huddle"

Ben Roethlisberger wants to run the no-huddle offense more often and admits to some disappointment because his coaches will not let him.

"Yeah, a little bit," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "I feel we can change it up. I think it's a weapon for us, and we just haven't had a chance to get into it yet."

The quarterback, in his eighth season, has had two offensive coordinators, and both will be on the field when the Steelers play the Cardinals at Arizona Sunday. Ken Whisenhunt tutored him from 2004 through 2006, then became Arizona's head coach. Bruce Arians succeeded him as coordinator in 2007.

Roethlisberger, who admits to having had some difficulties accepting Whisenhunt's tight rein on a young quarterback, has a good relationship, personal and professional, with Arians, and his desire to use more no-huddle may not be an issue between them. But the quarterback admits to lobbying Arians to run it "all the time."

"I wanted to get into it last week," Roethlisberger said of the Steelers 17-13 victory against Jacksonville at Heinz Field. "I love doing it. I think we have so many weapons we need to utilize."

Roethlisberger said the Steelers generally go to a no-huddle when their offense bogs down, but he would prefer to use it in many different situations.

"I like to do it every game regardless how we're doing," Roethlisberger said.

"Traditionally, we've kind of gotten into it when we've struggled on offense, when it's a couple three-and-out. I went to him this past game, I think at the eight-minute mark [of the fourth quarter] after we went three-and-out a couple times to try to change up the pace."

One of the reasons Roethlisberger prefers the no-huddle -- and perhaps his coaches not as much -- is that it swings the play-calling from the offensive coordinator to the quarterback. Roethlisberger acknowledged as much.

"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called form the sideline, it's off of tendencies, which when you have a good coordinator like we do, they know tenedencies pretty well. I have a feel for who's playing well, who's doing good things, the looks on defensive fronts, the secondary. For me, it's a rhythm thing as well."

Arians has said he does not like to use the no-huddle on the road because it is tougher for everyone to hear the calls. Roethlisberger said yesterday he has no trouble running it away from home.

"Absolutely, we've done it everywhere. I don't think there's an issue with it."

This would require Bruce "Generic" Arians to become creative. Not happening anytime soon. Fire him and get someone with some talent to run the offense.
    Mr. Comissioner, feel free to resoak those kerosene rags around your ankles for the 2011-2012 season. After the lockout the ants are angry as hell and more inclined to eat your candy ***! Thanks! --75Steeler

Veteran
    BA: Do you know how hard it is to run bubble screens and slow developing draws from the no huddle? /veto

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    BA: Do you know how hard it is to run bubble screens and slow developing draws from the no huddle? /veto
    We have been hearing about the no huddle every week for years along with BA's other great plans. After all these years with a great OC should'nt we be getting better?

No Hudddle? With Bruce..

Draft Pick
    This proves my point a few weeks ago when I inquired what the coaches would do if Ben just ran the no huddle...would they bench him? I still say they wouldn't, but BA does not like to run it, and his excuse is "being on the road." His ego and arrogance/stupidity is damaging this team.
    Ben, if you're listening, just do it, screw BA!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011
    Wednesday news and notes

Both Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke missed practice today, but Hoke is expected to be ready to play at Arizona on Sunday.

Jason Worilds returned to full practice today, but don't expect him to be automatically thrust into the starting lineup.

On the other hand, it looks like rookie Marcus Gilbert will go back into the starting lineup ahead of Jonathan Scott at right tackle despite the fact that Scott has played well the past two games subbing.

Chris Kemoeatu is also back, though he says the cartilage problem in his knee that has forced him to miss three games will require surgery at season's end. He said he has already had the knee drained three times.

© Ben Roethlisberger said today that he went to Bruce Arians midway through the fourth quarter last Sunday and asked to run the no-huddle offense. Arians told him no, as he should have with the team nursing a 17-10 lead at that point.

Roethlisberger always wants to run the no-huddle because that's what he's very comfortable doing. But, as we've seen with Pitt this season, sometimes you have to be able to milk the clock a little bit.

If the Steelers convert a third-and-short just once in the fourth quarter, the Jaguars never get to 17-13.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Isn't this like the millionth time he's said this?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    What's the problem with running a no huddle with a 17-10 lead. Obviously the drop back, stand around and find a target approach wasn't working. Why not change it up? I swear Arians thinks the no huddle is some type of plague the way he avoids it so much.

I'm not saying Ben is always right in every situation that he wants to use it, however in that situation last week it's not like you were an offensive juggernaut in the 2nd half. It's that type of thinking that keeps this team from putting their opponent away.

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    How many NHs been run this year? What was the outcome? This allows Ben to control the action and BA don't like that too much I'm bettin.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Manic
    BA doesn't like the no huddle cause he doesn't have control Ben does so of course he will say no because he would rather be in control and win by a field goal and put the fans asleep with the boring kill the clock bullshit than win 28 to 10

Thread Information