Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger: The NFL protects certain QB's

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Roethlisberger: The NFL protects certain QB's

The Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger acknowledged some quarterbacks get more calls than others in an interview with Jim Rome.

"I think in part because the league doesn't want certain games to be played without certain quarterbacks," Roethlisberger said. "No offense to the other Patriots, but who's going to watch the Patriots without Tom Brady and the Saints without Drew Brees. That's the way it is. They want to protect those guys because they are the marquee guys of this league, and you don't want them to get hurt."

Does Roethlisberger think the league speaks to the officials about such things?

"That's a good question," he said. "I think they know who are the marquee guys and they want to protect them."

Roethlisberger said he isn't complaining about the lack of calls.

"Because the first time they throw a flag is when a guy is just holding onto me, and I know I can break a tackle," he said.
    From the AFC North Blog

You can watch the video via the link to the AFC North Blog or right on our homepage
    on the right side, about 1/3 of the way down on the page.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-20-2011 at 11:41 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted

It is about damn time that someone has said this. for Ben Roethlisberger.
    Last edited by steelersbabex25; 10-20-2011 at 11:55 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You notice how he clarified himself by saying that he doesn't want the officials to call him "in the grass" when he's got a defender on him that he knows he can break free of. That's what worried me about this new rule from the get go.

It's happened a couple times this year already.

But yeah, no doubt, anybody with half a brain knows that Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etdc. will get more calls than Ben, Mike Vick, or most other NFL QB's.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Ben is very poised when he talks. While Vick was bitching and whining about not getting the calls, Ben had a very, "it is what it is" (probably got that from Tomlin) attitude. He wasn't so much crying about himself not getting the calls as he was pointing out the league making sure that other guys get the calls. No problem with him saying this whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Ben is very poised when he talks. While Vick was bitching and whining about not getting the calls, Ben had a very, "it is what it is" (probably got that from Tomlin) attitude. He wasn't so much crying about himself not getting the calls as he was pointing out the league making sure that other guys get the calls. No problem with him saying this whatsoever.
    No matter how it is said they both sound like whiners to me. Shut up and play Michael and Ben. It's no different than what you hear people say about Sid in hockey, Mario and Wayne back in the day. What you heard about Jordan in the NBA, any great pitcher in MLB. The fact is and always has been in every sport that the top few guys always get the calls.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    No matter how it is said they both sound like whiners to me. Shut up and play Michael and Ben. It's no different than what you hear people say about Sid in hockey, Mario and Wayne back in the day. What you heard about Jordan in the NBA, any great pitcher in MLB. The fact is and always has been in every sport that the top few guys always get the calls.
    It's not like Ben was like, hey, while I'm here, let me tell you what I think about this. Rome asked him about it, and he answered honestly. It would be whining if he said, "I should be getting the same calls that they're getting." But he didn't. He said that's just the way it is. How is that whining?

I hated it when Mike Vick spoke out about getting hits and I personally don't like to hear Ben talking out about it.. You hold the ball for 12 seconds you're gonna get hit.

The other QBs have a 1.5-2.5 second release...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

2nd String
    Iagree. Too many times fans think the players actively seek out media to air their agendas and opinions. When in fact, the media merely asks their opinion. Twitter and Facebook is the home of celebrity stupidity.

And what is he supposed to do, lie? He gave an honest opinion. I wonder if Brady has ever been asked the question? I wonder how he would answer.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    It's not like Ben was like, hey, while I'm here, let me tell you what I think about this. Rome asked him about it, and he answered honestly. It would be whining if he said, "I should be getting the same calls that they're getting." But he didn't. He said that's just the way it is. How is that whining?
    Last edited by Speeed; 10-21-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Brady - "I don't have an issue with it, first off I'm a puss and am afraid of contact, second, I have no desire to extand a play past 4 seconds so I throw it away"
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben isn't one to back off of a question, but you can tell he wanted to say more but wasn't going to give in to Jim Rome and start some bigger controversy. He's right, Vick is right, but nobody is going to listen to them. The NFL isn't going to admit they don't protect other QB's as much as they do the marquee guys.

Rules are in place to protect all QB's, that's obvious, however anybody with a brain knows that Brady will get more calls than Luke McCown is ever going to get.

Thread Information