Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polamalu may be fined for using cell phone...10/21, fined 10K by NFL

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Polamalu may be fined for using cell phone...10/21, fined 10K by NFL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...om-uptight-nfl

While the NFL has been known for fining players for miniscule offenses such as wearing the wrong color gloves or wrong type of cleats, it is certainly on the verge of reaching a brand new low in terms of fine-worthy offenses.

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu suffered a concussion in Sunday's win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. While on the sideline Polamalu used a cell phone to call his wife and let her know he was okay.

Apparently, it is illegal for players to make calls from the sideline, and Polamalu may be fined for doing so. If the NFL does decide to go through with fining Polamalu, it just proves that it makes arbitrary decisions without looking into the circumstances surrounding certain situations.

I would imagine the spirit of the "no phone calls rule" is so that players can't call people who may be able to give them information that will help them in the game. That is a notion I can get behind, obviously, but when a player like Polamalu, who has a history of concussions, calls to let his wife know he is fine, the NFL needs to turn the other cheek.

That same sentiment was echoed by Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin who saw nothing wrong with the phone call either.

"It wasn't a personal call. He wasn't checking on his bank account," Tomlin said. "He was talking to his wife to let her know that he was fine."

I highly doubt Polamalu's wife was feeding him vital information about how Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert reads a Cover 2, so it's safe to say the phone call was nothing more than an innocent conversation between a husband and wife.

If the NFL does decide to fine Polamalu, I'm sure it will come up with some cockamamie excuse about how not doing so would set a precedent and create some slippery slope effect that will result in players ordering pizzas on the sideline during games.

This is, of course, a one-off occurrence, but leave it to the NFL to make a mountain out of a molehill. At this rate pretty soon players are going to start getting fined for wearing their hats incorrectly on the sidelines (watch out Ben Roethlisberger and Tony Romo).

Perhaps the NFL will finally use a bit of common sense and prove me wrong, but based upon how fines have been handled in the past, I highly doubt it.
    Honestly, would we be surprised if this happened? I wouldn't. More of the NFL making money for stupid things. I could picture Goodell getting all giddy in his office when he saw that. YAY another $10,000 for the NFL!

I love Mike Tomlin calling out the NFL on this though: ""He's had a history of concussion-like symptoms and so forth in the past. She was concerned. In this era of player safety, you would think that common sense would prevail in regards to some of those things."
    Last edited by steelersbabex25; 10-19-2011 at 08:00 PM.

It was odd to see him on the phone.. I'm 100% sure he'll be fined!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

If he doesn't get fined, though I think he shouldn't, it will open up a major sh*t storm throughout the league.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's not like he pulled the phone out of his sock and started shooting the bull with his wife. "Hey Honey, did you see that play I just made, and not a hair out of place!"

The dude was calling his wife who was worried about him. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if he's fined because of the NFL being the way they are.

My Mood
    Love
    Didn't Sanchez get an arse chewing for eating a hot dog during the game? Don't remember if he was fined. Don't fine Troy.

If Troy does it then almost 1700 other players will be doing it..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

He'll probably get fined just because the NFL can....

Roger Goodell is a complete f-ing embarrassment, to himself, to the league, to the fans.....

If he truly had any logic whatsoever he'd make a statement saying cell phones are prohibited on the field by players, however in the interest of player safety, we will be allowing a league official to stand near player benches with a phone in hand to permit players to call a loved one in the case of injury.

Of course he doesn't possess logic so that was 30 seconds of your life you'll never get back folks. Sorry.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

Waterboy

Phone use

I can't remember exactly when it was, maybe two or three seasons ago. But I have seen him do it once before when he got hurt. Dan Dierdorf made a comment on air, and I don't recall him getting fined. But that was before Goodell turned into a tyrant.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCity325 View Post
    I can't remember exactly when it was, maybe two or three seasons ago. But I have seen him do it once before when he got hurt. Dan Dierdorf made a comment on air, and I don't recall him getting fined. But that was before Goodell turned into a tyrant.
    I find that hard to believe. In 2005 Jim Mora was fined $25,000 for using his cell phone during a game.

Next time put the bluetooth headset inge your helmet Troy.

Was it his phone or did he borrow one from someone on the sidelines? I wouldn't think the players would have their phones wroth them on the bench.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Thread Information