Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Farrior and Foote finding the fountain of youth

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

    Farrior and Foote finding the fountain of youth

    James Farrior and Larry Foote, a staple in the Blitzburgh defense for years. These played beside each other and were as good as any linebacker tandem in the league. Times changed and Foote moved onto a short stint in Detroit while Potsie continued to lead the Steelers defense.

    Fast forward to 2011 and with James Harrison out for atleast a couple more weeks with the broken orbital bone, the elder statesmen in the middle are reunited and for the last 2 weeks have seemingly picked up where they left off. In the last weeks, Farrior and Foote have combined for 30 Tackles, 2 passes defensed and 1 sack. Not too shabby for a couple of over the hill NFL linebackers I would say.

    With Timmons' move to the outside to cover for Harrison, it's nice to see these 2 be able to step up and make plays when they are needed most. While the defense may not be up to par with previous years in the eyes of some, they are as we speak the #1 overall defense in the NFL. Considering all the issues over the years with the secondary, all the injuries, and the age of the defensive line, things could be a lot worse for the black n gold defenders.

    Should we be surprised though? Farrior had a great season in 2010 finishing with 109 Tackles, 6 Sacks, 1 INT, and 5 passes defensed. Some were ready to write him off early this season again, but the unquestioned leader on the field for the Steelers defense is still getting it done. Credit the improved play of the defensive line for the improved play of the linebackers. It all goes hand in hand but overall seeing guys like Foote and Farrior still getting it done is a something maybe we shouldn't be so surprised about.

  2. #2
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This fountain of youth that both Foote and Farrior have found this year is much a credit to them as it is possibly a knock against Sylvester? The fact that the team doesn't have confidence in Sylvester to come in at all now that he's in his second year is somewhat concerning.

    Perhaps he will just take longer to catch on, and certainly nobody expects him to know everything yet but I was hoping he might get some action this year.

  3. #3
    Starter Goodfrom55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    This fountain of youth that both Foote and Farrior have found this year is much a credit to them as it is possibly a knock against Sylvester? The fact that the team doesn't have confidence in Sylvester to come in at all now that he's in his second year is somewhat concerning.

    Perhaps he will just take longer to catch on, and certainly nobody expects him to know everything yet but I was hoping he might get some action this year.
    Hopefully it is more of a case of Sly not completely knowing the assignments and complexity of the defense. The last thng the Steelers need is to have Sly in there, blow an assignment and have a guy go 50 yards for a TD.

    BUT. . .I am a proponent of learning by DOING so hopefully he gets his chance and makes the most of it. Remember, it took Harrison a while to crack the starting lineup as well.

  4. #4
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    5,864
    farrior and foote are pedal to the metal to keep him off the field. sly is waiting, he is one ILB injury away from playing and showing what he has with timmons at OLB.

    this talk of rotation to keep the old guys fresh never seems to happen. thats a bad sign for sly now.

  5. #5
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,372
    51 still has his moments of missing tackles.. Foote as well, I'm not going to crown them...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

  6. #6
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    5,864
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    51 still has his moments of missing tackles.. Foote as well, I'm not going to crown them...
    Our offense should be the only topic in reality. We had one first down the second half against the Jaquars.. Really.. Our defense is awesome.. We won..

    Heads should be rolling on the offensive side right now in Tomlin's office.

    The only logical explantion i can figure is that we use these regular season games as practices for the playoffs... we seem to try anything at anytime with no logic to it. lets throw bombs into swirling wind while mendy is getting 146 yards and we have fresh dwyers and redman standing around.. like that game we lost in cleveland a few years back, windy, cold... pass pass pass really.. I really get frustrated with this..

    So im going to look at it like each game is just a practice session for the playoffs. that way i wont feel so bad about all the illogical non-sense.

  7. #7
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,372
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Our offense should be the only topic in reality. We had one first down the second half against the Jaquars.. Really.. Our defense is awesome.. We won..

    Heads should be rolling on the offensive side right now in Tomlin's office.

    The only logical explantion i can figure is that we use these regular season games as practices for the playoffs... we seem to try anything at anytime with no logic to it. lets throw bombs into swirling wind while mendy is getting 146 yards and we have fresh dwyers and redman standing around.. like that game we lost in cleveland a few years back, windy, cold... pass pass pass really.. I really get frustrated with this..

    So im going to look at it like each game is just a practice session for the playoffs. that way i wont feel so bad about all the illogical non-sense.
    You're 10000% Right, I'm just not sold on these two players..

    Timmons has be awful at OLB, he needs to move back in, is Worilds back this week?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

  8. #8
    Stairwayto7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    Posts
    6,544
    My Mood
    Horny
    Still not sold on the fountain of youth. My fear is we are always stacked on the depth chart at ILB and OLB , that isnt the case right now.


    **** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •