Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers ugly in the second half

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Steelers ugly in the second half

Good read on Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...-week-6/page/8

but the main point that I thought we should focus on was, once again the awful second half play. Something that's becoming all too familiar for Steelers fans.

After racking up 10 first downs on 226 yards, and punching in 17 unanswered points on the first three drives of the game, the Steelers gained just 144 yards of total offense on their last eight drives of the game.

After leaving the locker room at halftime up 17-3, the Steelers gained just 70 yards of total offense and punted the ball on all five of their second half drives.

If the disappearance of the Steelers offense wasn’t enough, the defense played Copperfield all game long. Never truly leaving the room, but often times absent, the defense gave the Jags and their 22-year-old rookie quarterback room to hang around until a Hail Mary ended their late-game efforts.
    I just don't know what it is. In 2008-2009, we were the comeback kids. Always awful in the first half and unreal in the second half. Something has changed this season. The first few series of almost every game this season, we've looked good, and then we've let up after the first quarter. That is going to be trouble later in the season..

Honestly I blame Ben, he was off his mark big time..

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Honestly I blame Ben, he was off his mark big time..
    I do too, but it was pretty much a collapse on all ends. I mean, not a complete collapse cause we still won, but...ya know.

No **** we were awful the second half, didnt need a bleacher report to see that.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    No **** we were awful the second half, didnt need a bleacher report to see that.
    That comment was necessary....//end sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    That comment was necessary....//end sarcasm.
    Same as this thread

Ugly is being kind at this point.......good report on the game/season. Thanks for posting.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben Roethlisberger threw for 181 yards and completed a 28-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace in the first half of Sunday's game against Jacksonville. His quarterback rating was 113.4 after the second quarter and he appeared to be well on his way to another sterling performance, one week after tossing five touchdown passes in a victory against the Titans.

In the third and fourth quarters, the Jaguars -- and the wind -- finally disrupted the Steelers' passing game. Roethlisberger completed just 1 of 5 passes in the third and fourth quarters, and the Steelers had to hold on for a 17-13 victory after being held off the scoreboard in the second half.

"We had other guys open," Roethlisberger said. "I just have to drive the ball. I have to make the necessary adjustments when the wind picks up, stop floating it and try to drive it through the wind.

"I never make excuses. When it's blowing, you have to put a lot of spin on the ball. I just wasn't doing that. It's something I can easily change."

Several of Roethlisberger's incomplete passes, including some in the first half, came with receivers open deep downfield. Roethlisberger, who said the Jaguars were taking away the underneath routes and daring him to throw deep, simply misfired.
    "The wind most definitely was a factor, but we won't use that as an excuse at all," said Wallace, who did not catch a pass in the second half for the second consecutive week. "We just have to keep working at it. We'll get it. Unfortunately, we left about three touchdowns out there."

Roethlisberger's only completion of the second half came on the first drive. It was a 19-yarder to Hines Ward. On the next play, Roethlisberger missed a wide open Emmanuel Sanders, who had beaten his defender to the end zone.
    Roethlisberger also missed Sanders on another deep pass in the first half and could not connect on a deep pass to Wallace in the second half.

"It was gusting pretty good," Roethlisberger said of the wind. "Dan [Sepulveda] said on the last punt he wanted to take off and run. He didn't even want to punt it. It was what it was. It was kind of Heinz Field. One series it blows one way, then it swirls on you. Like I said, no excuses. You have to drive the ball through the wind."

From the PG

I mean seriously, the wind is picking up and gusting to the point where it's affecting the passing game. So like, hey Bruce, let's make sure we keep going deep and trying to the home run pass! Sure thing Ben, I'll call some more home run plays, cuz those will work just fine in gusting winds tossing the ball 30-40 yds down field.

Blame it on Ben for audibling into them or blame Bruce for calling them. Either way it was not going to work.

Veteran
    Looked to me like they went for the home run ball far too much in the 2nd half. Like they were trying for the one big play to put the game away, and as a result, did nothing offensively at all.

--- Added 10/17/2011 at 05:48 AM ---

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I mean seriously, the wind is picking up and gusting to the point where it's affecting the passing game. So like, hey Bruce, let's make sure we keep going deep and trying to the home run pass! Sure thing Ben, I'll call some more home run plays, cuz those will work just fine in gusting winds tossing the ball 30-40 yds down field.

I guess it was only gusting when the Steelers had the ball.

maybe go for first downs... ben is crazy.. he needs a real coach. BA is not that guy.

BOMB - BOMB - BOMB. really..

how about some short 5 yard cross routes... over and over again.

oh wait.. miller 30 yards down field.. thats a good one...

Tomlin had to be asking someone if we were going to try for the first down all second half right?? i think multiple first downs in a row are called drives. right?

Thread Information