Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall running like he's been watching Redman

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Mendenhall running like he's been watching Redman

Rashard Mendenhall returned to the lineup after missing a week with a hamstring injury and looked like the Mendy of old.

23 carries for 146 yds. and 1 TD. Long run of 68 yards showed that hamstring is just fine. I really thought he was going to take it to the house but the Jags were able to get the sideline angle and force him out. He was running today like a guy running with purpose, with a chip on his shoulder if you will. Perhaps he was taking some notes watching Redman and Dwyer run it last week?

On that long run, he took the handoff, hit the hole in the middle of the line and just took off. No wasted movements, just get it and go. That's what you love to see. They made most of their living running off the right side today, which is nothing new. Credit Foster and Scott for sealing that left side and opening up lanes for the running game. I liked everything I saw out of him and Redman today.

It's never been a question of his ability; we know he's a good carrier. However today we watched really take advantage of the lanes available to him. He kept the legs going and ran through tackles on a regular basis.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-16-2011 at 10:50 PM.

That was like a carbon copy of his AFC championship game. Power running with the ability to get around the outside.

Starter
    He has been watching Redman - he watched him for a full hour last week!

My Mood
    Addicted
    He ran well today. Still wish Redman got more carries than he did.

Mendenhall watching Redman? What? Mendenhall has been playing like that for the past couple of seasons and before Redman was even around. Why is everyone so enamored with Redman?

As long as the O-line continues to block well, Mendenhall will have a lot more games this season like he did today.

I still like Redman though and would like to see him get a few more carries per game. I think he had just 4 today. I guess Dwyer took a couple of carries away from Redman.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I say "run like he was watching Redman" because of the struggles that Rashard has had this season and his running style. Redman and Dwyer made a living on the ground vs the Titans by making 1 move and taking off. Being very decisive in their decision making once they got the ball.

Nobody ever said Mendenhall is washed up or hasn't done it in the past. However in the past, his running style is to pick and choose his hole often times and the way the Steelers line was through the first 4 weeks, you just can't do that. Now last week and this week the line has played much better vs the run.

Mendenhall is a feature back, you'll get no argument from me. However, it's clear this week that for the first time this year he really was able to hit the hole quickly and decisively and make the play. That's what you need with a line that is in flux.

Mendy certainly looked healthy today. He did a great job, but I still want to see Redman and Dwyer get more carries. STOP the 50 yard bombs every other play and pound the ball when you have the lead!
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

he was pissed off because of all the ridiculous redman hype stemming from this website

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    he was pissed off because of all the ridiculous redman hype stemming from this website
    Yea, we know you dont like Redman Mendy is Gods gift to the steelers and does nothing wrong, a down field runner and the should be the MVP every year

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Yea, we know you dont like Redman Mendy is Gods gift to the steelers and does nothing wrong, a down field runner and the should be the MVP every year

I think Ktrain shuts his eyes when Redman is pounding thru that line, extending the play and getting those crucial yrds we need......you know beautiful things like that...it's so sad!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Thread Information