Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade Ben as a deep down the field passer.

Bookmark and Share

Grade Ben as a deep down the field passer.

Im talking about 30+ yards to complete a pass. I think we went to the long ball to much today imho but we still won. It seems though Ben makes some really nice long completions to wallace and then sometimes he just misses them when there are wide open. It drives me kind of nuts. Not saying he should complete them all but I would grade him a.......

B-

I'd give him a solid B. Deep passes are tough to complete consistently. I know he tends to miss some, but one thing I try and remember is there is such a difference in raw speed between Wallace and the other WRs. I think it's tough for Ben to get used to thowing deep balls because he's conditioned himself not to underthrow Wallace, sometimes he ends up overthrowing Sanders and Brown. So with that in mind, I give him a B.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    When Ben is time, I would give him a solid B+ to A-. When you give him sufficient time to find his target he can hit the open man the majority of the time. Last year when he was on the run he could hit the open man 30 yds down field. Watching him to look at Wallace, nod, and then hit him for a big TD is just a thing of beauty!

This year things are different. Up until the Titans game, Ben couldn't hit the broad side of a barn either on the run or in the pocket. Then last week it all clicked with the short passing game, running game, and mixing in the long throws down field. Now this week it all went to hell again in the 2nd half.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Unfortunately, Ben is not a overly accurate passer period and this was known when he came out of college. Arians doesn't exactly help him, but there are several QBs in the League that throw the deep ball better. For me, his strengths are those intermediate routes and throwing on the run.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Addicted
    A to Wallace.
    F to everyone else.

i think he wasted a whole half practicing the bomb.... really. he didnt need to throw the ball long all day. it was practice. if it was BA fire him, but it really looked like backyard football.

the huddle was hey mendy. run around the end or go up the middle. or he just said bomb to whoever... this could not have ben BA's plan...

ben needs to settle down and look for first downs... come on already ben..

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    i think he wasted a whole half practicing the bomb.... really. he didnt need to throw the ball long all day. it was practice. if it was BA fire him, but it really looked like backyard football.

the huddle was hey mendy. run around the end or go up the middle. or he just said bomb to whoever... this could not have ben BA's plan...

Well said Cold.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post

Ben is currently throwing his deep ball not to underthrow the receivers, he is not trusting his arm and throwing to the receiver.

Arains just sucks! Last week he came out and said that he gets annoyed when he can't get at least 5 deep balls to Wallace a game. This week he just had to come out and try and prove he and Ben could do it, which we couldn't! And it was at the cost of us actually moving the ball like a proper offense should, with intelligence and guile, not friking let's chuck it up in the air and hope someone comes down with it.

And Redman should now be our goal line back, not Mendenhall, will we never learn, it's not like the defense might expect a pass to mendy as oppose to Redman, we never pass the ball to our rb's anyway, . . . bloody putrid, bile, rubbish from Arians and his lacky again!!

If it wasn't for Ben it is very unlikely Arians would still be here, that's really grateing on me, cus, if Arians wasn't here, we might have a OC, who may just have won us another SB by now.

V.Poor.
    Last edited by UKSTEELER; 10-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    A to Wallace.
    F to everyone else.
    Bingo.

If he leads Sanders, Sanders slows down. If he anticipates Sanders slowing down, he speeds up. Brown, I don't know, what the hell have they done with him? I didn't see him this week. Must be playing Old Maid on the sideline with Cotchery and Battle.

hes got an excellent downfield ball....there was one play that he escaped from pressure and threw on the run and it looked like he just flicked his wrist.

and the A to wallac and F to everyone else notion is ridiculous, not one of the other recievers has half the ball adjustment ability wallace has

Thread Information