Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roughing the punter gave the Jags new life

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Roughing the punter gave the Jags new life

The roughing the punter call was the turning point that gave the Jags the momentum to drive down for that TD. It seemed to really take the wind right out of the Steelers sails. You would have liked to see them recover from that but they just not get in gear. Jacksonville went on a clock eating 17 play 80 yd drive that lasted 9:35.

Special teams once again for the 3rd week in a row nearly cost this team.

2nd String
    I think the pendulum swung after Legursky got hurt. A blocked punt, a crappy punt, a Ben fumble, more penalties. I think it was a comedy of errors after the injury. If it was not one issue it was another. I am simply dumbfounded . . . .

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Essex came in and playing pretty well in the first half. In the 2nd half though things definitely started to unravel for the offense. It comes back to them being resilient and getting the mojo back after a bad play like that one.

My Mood
    Addicted
    You can't blame the special teams for that one. That's just a stupid and unfortunate call. By rule, is that a penalty? Yes. Should it be? No. If a player is that close to blocking a punt, and by that close I mean literally inches a way, that really should not be a penalty. There was nothing Mundy could do about that. Really a good play by him.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It is special teams though overall; whether it's a "hard to blame them" type of play or not, the last 3 weeks this unit has had issues. I realize it's hard to get out of the way when you smell a potential block and I know the Punters can be good actors. Either way though I'm still concerned that sooner or later it's going to bite them and cost them a game.

No excuse for Mundy to hit punter and miss the ball by that much; wasn't even close. They got lucky, have to get ready for Arizona next week, WON'T BE AN EASY GAME.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It is special teams though overall; whether it's a "hard to blame them" type of play or not, the last 3 weeks this unit has had issues. I realize it's hard to get out of the way when you smell a potential block and I know the Punters can be good actors. Either way though I'm still concerned that sooner or later it's going to bite them and cost them a game.
    I just don't think that play was on Mundy at all. That should never be a penalty.

But if we are talking special teams overall, besides the very last punt of the game, Sepulveda had a rough time. He was pretty bad.

--- Added 10/16/2011 at 03:45 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    No excuse for Mundy to hit punter and miss the ball by that much; wasn't even close. They got lucky, have to get ready for Arizona next week, WON'T BE AN EASY GAME.
    By that much? He was 2 inches away from the ball. If that.

From my view point, it looked like he whiffed by quite a bit - I could be wrong though.

My Mood
    Addicted
    From my view point, it looked like he whiffed by quite a bit - I could be wrong though.
    Don't know where you watched it, but on CBS they showed quite a few replays of it. He was not off the ball by more than 2 inches.

I agree. Mundy was not close enough to the ball to even consider not calling it. Sylvestor was closer at the ball than Mundy. With that being said, Mundy was close enough to try making a play, only.. he did not.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information