Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Difference Between This Year And Last Year

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

The Difference Between This Year And Last Year

As I watch this year's games, and suffer through the highs and lows, I have had an epiphany. This, in my opinion, is the difference between this year and last year . . .

The difference is mojo, karma, luck, or whatever you want to call it. For example, today, that deflected ball goes through Troy's hands. The ball goes through Hood's hands. A few weeks ago when Troy rushed through the line and almost caused a fumble at the hand off. I can think a of a few more, but you get the idea.

So, I think the difference are those kinds of plays. Last year, for whatever reason, we would have made those plays. This year, for whatever reason, we are not getting those plays. Those are game changing and game momentum plays.

Other factors, such as the barrage of injuries are a factor as well.

Hopefully our "karma" changes.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There have been so many ALMOST big plays by the defense this year so far it's mind boggling. Sooner or later they are bound to come up with a 4 or 5 turnover game and score a couple TD's. The ball doesn't always bounce your way but when you get a chance you have to make those plays.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    There have been so many ALMOST big plays by the defense this year so far it's mind boggling. Sooner or later they are bound to come up with a 4 or 5 turnover game and score a couple TD's. The ball doesn't always bounce your way but when you get a chance you have to make those plays.
    The ball has to start bouncing into our hands sometime! Hopefully in the next game!
    :logospin:

the defense has to start making those ALMOST plays because the offense is struggling and need as much help as they can get. we don't have nearly enough takeaways for this point in the season

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The percentages tell you that this defense is due for a breakout game. They have been making plays especially the last 2 weeks that really came at key points in the game. The late sack by Keisel, the almost pick by Troy, the batted down pass by Keisel, all huge plays on Sunday.

At this point, I'm sure we still know who the Steelers are, and it may not be until the bye week until we figure it out.

Every week I saw "this is the week Troy gets his pick six" and every week he is coming so close. Hopefully they are saving all the turnovers for the Pats and Rats.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Addicted
    I understand what you're getting at here. Something that's hard to prove, but I agree with you in that their luck seems to be kind of running out this year. Plays that were made last year, aren't being made this year, and by players that are capable of making those same plays.

I think its just frustrating because were not getting as many picks as we should and not enough turnovers period.

My top three reasons for stuggling this year (in no particular order):
    1) Defense not creating turnovers and big plays in critical situations
    2) Poor offensive line play / injuries and subs on o-line
    3) Ben and the receivers not on the same page. I'm not putting it all on Ben. Seems to me, IMHO, a large percentage of the passing game not working is a result of mis-reads or wrong routes by young WR

The ball isn't going the right way. Look at most Super Bowl teams and their turnover differential: Luck is part of the game. It just isn't happening this season. Maybe you can say guys are slower or tired, but where the ball goes plays into it.

Thread Information