Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic

Taylor vs asomugha

Ike Taylor 481 tackles 99 passes defended 11 int'S in 125 games
    asomugha 310 tackles 54 passes defended 11 int's in 122 games
    in the last 4 seasons asomugha has been targeted 38,32,25 and 31 times
    taylor 4 are 111,87,94 and 85
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 10-16-2011 at 09:44 AM.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Ike Taylor 481 tackles 99 passes defended 11 int'S in 125 games
    asomugha 310 tackles 54 passes defended 11 int's in 122 games
    in the last 4 seasons asomugha has been targeted 38,32,25 and 31 times
    taylor 4 are 111,87,94 and 85 Ranking him #1 ALL 4 YEARS
    erm... no.

youve got that backwards. think about it. lets lump these stats together for ease of use

asmougha 126 targets = 11 ints, 54 pdef
    taylor 377 targets = 11 ints, 99 pdef

asmougha
    int = 8.73% chance per target
    pdef = 42.85% per target

taylor
    int =2.91% per target
    pdef =26.25% per target.

which is exactly why he gets targeted more. as for the tackles, well, one should expect that if you get more targets and have a lower pdef/int% rate that you would get a much higher # of tackles.

i would trade taylor for namdi in half a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Deviouz1; 10-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.

I wouldn't trade Taylor for any CB in the game right now.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    I wouldn't trade Taylor for any CB in the game right now.
    The way he is playing right now, I'd have a hard time believing you could find a better value. Asomugha (when in the right system) and Revis are definitely 1A and 1B right now, but with Taylor's recent performance and comparatively low salary, he's tough to beat.

Veteran
    Ignoring the salary, I'd take Revis or Nnamdi, but when you factor in the salary, we're actually getting really good value for Ike.

Factoring in other things, such as Revis' penchant for hold outs (held out twice already, and rumors around these parts (if you recall, I work less than 5 miles from the Jets training complex) is that he's ready to do so again.)

Right now, I'm happy with the job Ike has done, and happy with our DBs overall so far this year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The problem with Nnamdi right now is that he's in a system that is unlike what he is used too. It's going to take time for him to get acclimated to the Eagles style of defense. The Raiders would just let him take a receiver and effectively shut down one side of the field. Now he's asked to play zone, man to man, play run support, and what have you. It's not that he can't do it, but rather the adjustment period is longer than what the Eagles probably realized. Couple that with the fact that Eagles just suck right now and everyone is going after not only Nnamdi but everyone else. They don't scare anybody right now, not even with that secondary.

Ike is playing absolute lights out this year. It would be nice to see him make more INT's but it's not the end of the world. Lebeau is really letting him just be on his own. In face in one of his recent Ike Taylor shows on the Trib, he talked about how much he loves the challenge of man to man. Lebeau said he lobbies to play more of it and be left alone in the game.

RIGHT NOW I'd rather have Taylor over Nnamdi. Nnamdi is the better player though
    Last edited by Steelers_All_Day_43; 10-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.

My Mood
    Devilish
    all i know is that the numbers dont lie. namdi IS the better player, there is no doubt about that. BRC hit on the specifics about time to adjust to a new system, this is the case with any player that goes to a new team that does things differently. i look to see namdi steadily increase his performance throughout the year and next year be just fine. taylor on the other hand most likely will not get any better than he is now.

my only real hope is that the younger guys overachieve this year and manage to become respectable CB's. im amazed how everyone is talking about how well theyre doing, deep down you all know that theyve "performed well" because everyone was running all over us and didnt need to use the passing game nearly as much.

we'll see how well they perform vs brady. if the pats dont eat us alive like they usually do then i may change my tune, but as it stands i just dont see it happening. optimism is good to a point, but not when it breeds over confidence. had manning been in the colts game i am sure things would have been much different, we would likely be sitting at 2-3 right now and its doubtful we'd be so high in the pass def ranks.

think about the QB's we've faced so far.

flacco - 170ish yds rushing
    tavaris jackson - expected outcome
    collins/painter - 153 yds passing from their 2nd and 3rd stringers
    schaub - 155 yds rushing
    hasselbeck - 260+ yds

none of these people are even close to considered "elite". 260+ from hasselbeck? really? and people are raving about how awesome our pass defense is?

we'll see.

Starter
    I don't think they are raving, I think most are surprised at the low number. I have heard mention, but nobody is shouting from a mountain top. As you said, the numbers do not lie; the Steelers apparently have the 4th best pass defense in the league.

I would rather be first, but I will take 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by Deviouz1 View Post
    all i know is that the numbers dont lie. namdi IS the better player, there is no doubt about that. BRC hit on the specifics about time to adjust to a new system, this is the case with any player that goes to a new team that does things differently. i look to see namdi steadily increase his performance throughout the year and next year be just fine. taylor on the other hand most likely will not get any better than he is now.

my only real hope is that the younger guys overachieve this year and manage to become respectable CB's. im amazed how everyone is talking about how well theyre doing, deep down you all know that theyve "performed well" because everyone was running all over us and didnt need to use the passing game nearly as much.

we'll see how well they perform vs brady. if the pats dont eat us alive like they usually do then i may change my tune, but as it stands i just dont see it happening. optimism is good to a point, but not when it breeds over confidence. had manning been in the colts game i am sure things would have been much different, we would likely be sitting at 2-3 right now and its doubtful we'd be so high in the pass def ranks.

schaub - 155 yds rushing
    hasselbeck - 260+ yds

none of these people are even close to considered "elite". 260+ from hasselbeck? really? and people are raving about how awesome our pass defense is?

we'll see.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviouz1 View Post

schaub - 155 yds rushing
    hasselbeck - 260+ yds

we'll see.
    260+ in a game that was clearly over. I dont care if they give up 400+ yards as long as the score is what the Titans score was.

Thread Information