Thread: Did youth play a part in last weeks success?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic

Did youth play a part in last weeks success?

My thinking is that with Harrison out as well as Hampton and Aaronn smith the Defense got a youthful boost especially in stopping the run. I see evidence of this all over the team RB,DB,LB,CB,DT,DE

I think Smith and Hampton are done. Not exactly youth because Hoke is as old as Hampton.

Smith and Hampton still have some gas left in the tank. But I do think they will use The two of them in run situations and use the younger guy in passing situations to get more pressure on the QB

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers could have and probably would have won that game had Harrison been in the lineup. It's not as though he's lost a step or is playing bad. He's still coming off back surgery and just starting to back to normal.

Timmons made some nice plays on the outside but if anything the team got "older" in the middle with both Farrior and Foote playing inside. Although I must admit I did get nostalgic seeing those 2 in the game again, side by side.

Smith and Hampton being out; mwittman said, Hoke is no spring chicken either. He is a good, solid player though. He did a great job and Hood is definitely more effective on the left side than the right.

I like the youth this team has at key positions, it just needs time to shine and develop.

My Mood
    Manic
    Hoke is no spring chicken but Hoke is like the old muscle car you find in a garage in mint shape it's old but runs like a new car Hampton is an AMC Pacer that smokes and leaves oil in the driveway because he was used everyday rode hard and put away wet .
    I disagree about Smith he hung around a year too long
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 10-15-2011 at 04:15 AM.

To me it is not so much about being old as being motivated. Hampton has not really cared a whole lot for quite some time now (at least so it appears). You never really see him fired up. Hoke on the other hand is usually pretty emotional; you see him celebrating making plays, you see him on the sideline and whatnot. Its like those old-time players have an attitude like; we'll be fine, no need to worry.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Veteran
    They did get some more youth in the game compared to other weeks. They played more dime than anything it seems, with Mundy coming in as the extra DB and seeing well more than half the plays as did Lewis and Mclendon seeing about 20% of the plays. Chris Carter also saw some plays at OLB since Worilds is out (what a terrible time for him to be out. Could finally see if he was worth that #2).

So we did see more youth than usual. Of course, Ziggy played a large portion of the game, and Ironhead saw a good amount of time too.

Still no sign of any of the other DBs or Sylvester though.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Lebeau mentioned they played more dime this past week than usual because of having Timmons on the outside. If he was in his usual spot in the middle they would have played more Nickel. Either way it worked very well. With Ike being able to effectively take away half the field that really helps out everyone.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Lebeau mentioned they played more dime this past week than usual because of having Timmons on the outside. If he was in his usual spot in the middle they would have played more Nickel. Either way it worked very well. With Ike being able to effectively take away half the field that really helps out everyone.
    Allow me to offer a different reason, BRC. They are coming up to New England, who always eats our brains like starving zombies. Perhaps they are preparring the defense for that spread dink and dunk type offense we have so many problems with.

Thread Information