Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pouncey & NFL Centers sound off on wearing microphones

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Pouncey & NFL Centers sound off on wearing microphones

Maurkice Pouncey isn't a quiet guy, but he really hasn't enjoyed hearing himself as much as he has this season.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, the NFL requires each team outfit its center or both guards with a microphone under the shoulder pads during games for an enhanced television broadcast.

It has led to Pouncey's voice being heard a lot more during telecasts, something he doesn't particularly enjoy.

"I really don't want to wear it," Pouncey said. "What's the point of wearing it? I don't get it."

The league and television networks wanted to enhance the sound during games by giving fans a better sense of the action. The league last year repositioned its mic'd-up umpire to behind the line of scrimmage and lost its "natural" sound for the audience.
    The decision to place a microphone on a lineman hasn't been accepted well because of what teams believe is a greater likelihood of defenses picking up and decoding line calls and audibles by the center through broadcasts.

"I don't like it," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It really kills your no-huddle offense when everybody gets your code words, and they broadcast across NFL Network and everywhere else."

Microphones are supposed to be open only after the offensive huddle breaks and close shortly after the snap.

"You are trying to bring the fans in, but it is hard because that's how teams pick up on stuff," Hines Ward said. "They hear all your calls. I hate it."

The NFL received complaints after Dallas center Phil Costa complained that Washington defenders were mimicking snap counts that he believed were gathered from broadcasts during a game last month.

The NFL sent out a memo last week that stated each team has a choice of the center or both guards being fitted with a microphone, believing that calls from the center would be harder to pick up by the guards wearing mics.

"When we run no-huddle, everybody in the world can hear what we are calling," Pouncey said. "It is what it is and guess you have to follow rules and obey by them.
    "Even if they are listening, you still have to stop the plays that are being run."

Ravens center Matt Birk is appealing a $5,000 fine for removing his microphone last week during a Sunday night game against the New York Jets. Birk said the microphone came lose and was not comfortable to wear.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I totally get this gripe, making these guys wearing microphones is going to eventually lead to somebody being able to cheat.

I get the whole "enhanced broadcast" thing but at the same time who's to say if these guys will turn them off when they are supposed too. Who's to say late in the game somebody doesn't pick on a code word for a blitz pickup or audible and it ends up costing the offense a big play late.

I do like the extra microphones on the sidelines, those are cool to get the sounds of the game but at the same time I can't say I blame the lineman for not wanting to wear them.

The NFL is stupid... Why??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    The NFL is stupid... Why??
    You answered your own question...

I don't see an upside. Hearing them talk does nothing to enhance the game in my mind. I like the muffled yells....
    Last edited by ejsteeler; 10-14-2011 at 09:49 AM.

players approved the CBA with this in it, might just have to live with it

Quote Originally Posted by ejsteeler View Post
    You answered your own question...

I don't see an upside. Hearing them talk does nothing to enhance the game in my mind. I like the muffled yells....
    All of my protection codes would start with F**K, or some other offensive "C" words!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    All of my protection codes would start with F**K, or some other offensive "C" words!
    that just might do it....or pad the NFL's charity donations...

You can bet the Patriots will be using this to get other team's signals.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Ktrain's point is well taken, but I agree. Fining a guy because he refuses to wear a mic? Goodell and his minions continue their assault on our game.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

With all the high tech listening and recording devices today I don't understand why it needs to be on a player. I would think they could pick up the sounds from the sideline. As far as the other teams picking up the signals, don't you change them regularly?

K is right they approved it so live with it and stop whining. They aren't complaining about practicing in shorts and forgetting the basics like tackling and blocking because they don't practice it anymore.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Thread Information