Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather see the Steelers defer, or take the ball first?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Would you rather see the Steelers defer, or take the ball first?

There's an article in the Trib that talks about the Steelers deferring after winning the coin toss this past Sunday. Tomlin challenged them by making them take the field first but it didn't work out too well on the first drive. When you read the article you can see the logic in having them go on defense first. It's not like it's anything new; they usually deferred in the past. However in the wake of recent slow starts by the defense, perhaps the offense should get on the field first moving forward?

It wasn't coincidence that the Steelers deferred the opening kickoff last week against Tennessee.

Coach Mike Tomlin wanted to see how his defense would respond to a challenge he laid out during the week in light of Houston's 19-play, 95-yard touchdown-scoring drive to start the game a week earlier.

It's safe to assume Tomlin didn't like what he saw — a 13-play, 69-yard drive by the Titans that ended in a field goal.

"I know Mike T. was disappointed with what happened," linebacker James Farrior said. "It didn't work out so well, and we all were disappointed."

It has become a familiar scene, the Steelers' defense allowing opening-game scoring drives.

Twice the Steelers deferred after winning the coin toss and chose to put their defense on the field first, only to give up points. In all, they've allowed three opening-drive scores — two for touchdowns — and all when their defense started the game on the field (Houston won the toss and chose to receive).

Last year, the defense allowed three opening-drive touchdowns in 19 games.
    "We are not coming out with the intensity that we need," Farrior said. "We have to be prepared for them giving us their best shot right out of the gate."

In the first two instances — opening week against Baltimore and two weeks ago in Houston — the opening drive set the tone for the rest of the game.
    The Ravens scored in three plays and went on to rout to Steelers. Houston took nearly 11 minutes off the clock before scoring a touchdown.

"We can't do that anymore," nose tackle Chris Hoke said. "We have to come off of the bus firing."
    Honestly, I was alittle nervous about them deferring last Sunday. As the article shows, doing that hasn't worked out so well for them this year. Although nervous, I wasn't surprised. I figured Tomlin wanted to see the defense step up right from the get go and set the tone. Although those first couple runs were pretty scarey they settled down quickly.

All in all though would you rather see them defer the coin toss or take the ball first?

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-13-2011 at 12:33 AM.

I like kicking off to start a game because then if you are losing you get it after the half and if you score before the half then you get the ball back again.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Defer. Everytime.

I'm glad Tomlin'saddressing this instead of the usual "throw the style points out the window, a win is a win" bullshit.

You should ALWAYS defer because it help you no matter if your winning or losing at halftime.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Defer. Everytime.
    Yup.

IMO, the second half kickoff is more important than the opening one.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Whichever one sets the better tone for the game, because the team that scores more points is going to win the game.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Whichever one sets the better tone for the game, because the team that scores more points is going to win the game.

Ed Zachary.

Maybe putting the O on the field first would better set the tone of the game.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers_All_Day_43 View Post
    You should ALWAYS defer because it help you no matter if your winning or losing at halftime.
    If this were true, EVERY team would defer EVERY time.

That being said, I want to see the Steelers defer because it's like a statement to the other team :here ya go, you take the ball, we'll beat you anyway"
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    If this were true, EVERY team would defer EVERY time.
    That being said, I want to see the Steelers defer because it's like a statement to the other team :here ya go, you take the ball, we'll beat you anyway"
    ....It is true. If you are losing, you get the ball first to try take the lead or start a comeback. If you are winning, you have a chance to increase your lead. There are NO negatives to deferring.

Thread Information