Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Mendnehall will get the start on Sunday

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Looks like Mendnehall will get the start on Sunday

Rashard Mendenhall practiced Wednesday, and he is expected to return to the starting lineup at 1 p.m. Sunday when the Steelers host the Jacksonville Jaguars.
    Mendenhall missed last week's game with a hamstring injury. He is only averaging 3.0 yards per carry.

His struggles and coach Mike Tomlin's vague answer when asked Tuesday about Mendenhall's role has raised questions about how the Steelers will distribute carries between Mendenhall and the emerging Isaac Redman.

"If Rashard stays patient, he'll get his time," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

Redman, who made his first career start last Sunday, said he expects Mendenhall to start against Jacksonville. With Mewelde Moore likely to miss a second straight game because of a high ankle sprain, Redman will spell Mendenhall on Sunday and serve as the third-down back.

Mendenhall has gone over the 1,000-yard rushing mark in each of the past two seasons. The fourth-year veteran is considerably off that pace with only 173 rushing yards, but yesterday he downplayed his slow start.

"As a running back you have reads, you have plays and you slide and pick and find holes. When it works everybody loves it, when it doesn't it's bad," Mendenhall said. "We just keep everything in perspective."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I hope if Mendenhall does start that he tears it up and has a good game. The more backs the team can have that are making positive yards are on every carry, the better. However if he struggles then Tomlin needs to step in and get Redman into the game. You can't afford to go back to the previous 4 weeks of beating your head against the wall.

I hope Redman gets lots of carries, don't get me wrong I like Mendy but his dancing in the backfield will not work with our Oline.
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

good im glad mendy will start, look im not saying mendy shouldnt start, just redman sees more ballaction during the game is all. But i hope he does well to. Just needs to stop dancing around so much and just start downhill.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Mendy is now fighting for his job. He will play well, but I still think Red gets 10+ carries

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Yea I can see Mendy having a big day...

Other news:

Wednesday, October 12, 2011
    No surprises

No surprises among the Steelers who missed practice Wednesday as Marcus Gilbert, Chris Kemoeatu and Casey Hampton were among those who sat out.

Rashard Mendenhall was back and said he should be ready to go Sunday against Jacksonville.

I would expect Mendenhall to start against Jacksonville, though the Steelers will likely use give Isaac Redman a series in each half like they did against Seattle.

* I talked to Ziggy Hood today and he told me he did have a tough time on the right side because he hadn't seen a ton of practice there. Remember, all of his practice time last season came on the left when he replaced Aaron Smith.

It may not seem like such a big deal, but Hood said the hand placements and leverage are different on the other side of the line. That likely forced him to think more than react, leading to him getting pushed around.

* Also spoke to Antonio Brown about his return game. He's very confident in his abilities and feels he can be a Pro Bowl returner - if teams kick to him.

Tennessee kicked away from him in the punt game last week, the ultimate show of respect for a return man.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Chatty
    WTF for!!!!!!! Why dont' you stick with what is working!! Im sorry but this is what makes me mad with the coaching staff...if it aint broken...dont fix it!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrior Fan View Post
    I hope Redman gets lots of carries, don't get me wrong I like Mendy but his dancing in the backfield will not work with our Oline.

mendy doesn't dance, just to dance. on most of his carries he's had 2 guys in his face when he gets the ball. this is due to the predictable play calling and lack of blocking.

look, i'm not saying the mendy is better or worse than redman or dwyer or anybody. all i'm saying is that when redman got in the game against houston, there was significantly different play calling and better blocking than what mendy was getting. look at the only td we scored vs. houston. mendy didn't dance...there was a hole and he hit it. same thing goes for last week. if mendy was in the game do you think he would dance just to dance, or hit the obvious hole that was there? look at dwyer's 70 yard run...i think i could have hit that hole and at least rushed for 10 yards with my blazing 5.4 speed.

the only difference between the 2 backs (mendy and redman) are that if the line is neutral redman can move the pile and get 2 yards where mendy can't. also, i think redman's vision might be a bit better right now. but if both backs have a hole, i'd feel more comfortable with mendy going through it faster.

but like most everyone here, i'd love to see a nice mixture of backs. mendy, redman, dwyer, and even me-moore...if utilized properly this could be a very dangerous backfield to contend with...which would lead to a much more efficient passing attack.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    WTF for!!!!!!! Why dont' you stick with what is working!! Im sorry but this is what makes me mad with the coaching staff...if it aint broken...dont fix it!
    Mendy works better than Redman it's just they decided to block last week if mendy was in the game last week he would have had 150 yrds dwyer is better than redman Redman =hype

My Mood
    Fight
    Well hopefully he gets his head out of his arse and show why he was a high draft pick
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Thread Information