Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No matter how hard they try..........

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic

No matter how hard they try..........

In spite of the week one destruction of the Steelers . The Baltimore Ravens trail the Steelers in all but two statistical catagories on both sides of the ball . The Steelers are ranked #1 in pass defense(174 ypg) to the Ravens#8(212ypg) . Total Defense Steelers#2(282.8ypg) Ravens#3(284.5). Rushing Defense Ravens#9 (72.5)ypg Steelers#16(108.8)

Now we'll see how the offenses stack up(crappy o-line and all) Steelers #12 in total Offense(373.6ypg) Ravens #14 (358.5ypg) Passing Steelers #12 (263.5 ypg) Ravens #18 234.8ypg) Rushing Steelers #17 (109.7ypg) Ravens #9 (123.6ypg)
    So with the addition of Starks on the blind side and the emergence of some of the youngsters things in Steeler land aren't as bleek as forecasted in week one

Steelers 31 JAX 3

My Mood
    Addicted

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I always have to smile when I see the stats that are supposed to reflect the team. The Steelers pass defense is indeed not too shabby this year but until they face a litmus test of someone like a Tom Brady then I take the wait and see approach.

Give them credit, they did a good job overall of shutting down everyone since week 1, vs. the pass. Run defense is significantly better as of this past Sunday but there is still a way to go.

I also still do not buy in the Ravens being a great thing this year. Flacco is up and down, hardly consistent at all since week 1. I want to see how these 2 teams go at in November to get a better idea of where we are and where they are. Defense wise, yes they are playing great. Leading the league in scoring and takeaways heading into week 5 I think.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Defense wise, yes they are playing great. Leading the league in scoring and takeaways heading into week 5 I think.
    which just so happen to be the two most important aspects of a championship defense. if you can generate turnovers and score you win. its like having an "I WIN" button. i read somewhere that the SB winning teams historically have great turnover ratios. its one of the things that get them to the SB in the first place. add a scoring defense and youve got something thats pretty hard to overcome.

im not in any way saying theyre going to the superbowl, i think we're going to win a fairly close one at heinz field and that once again steelers ravens will be the best game in the playoffs.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers defense always prides itself on turnovers, that's a big part of what they do. So far this year they finally got the monkey off their back by getting an INT but they are way behind what they usually look to accomplish. Troy has been so close on atleast 8-10 different occasions this year, he's bound to start coming down with some of them soon.

I'm still confident in this team's defensive ability but we have to see if they can continue that same effort from last week. If that happens then I like our chances to really get on a roll.

I said it after game one and I say it now, The Steelers are not that Bad, and the Ravens are not that Good. However, when one team commits 7 turnovers and the other commits 0, the game will be lopsided.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    I said it after game one and I say it now, The Steelers are not that Bad, and the Ravens are not that Good. However, when one team commits 7 turnovers and the other commits 0, the game will be lopsided.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    definitely, however, you have to determine the circumstances of the TO's as well. is the offense giving the turnovers or is the defense actually forcing them? if the def is actually forcing them then the def is pretty damn good, if the off is giving them away however then the def is doing nothing but being in the right place at the right time. how many of our turnovers have been forced vs how many we have just given away?

Quote Originally Posted by Deviouz1 View Post
    which just so happen to be the two most important aspects of a championship defense. if you can generate turnovers and score you win. its like having an "I WIN" button.

See the Buffalo Bills
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Deviouz1 View Post
    definitely, however, you have to determine the circumstances of the TO's as well. is the offense giving the turnovers or is the defense actually forcing them? if the def is actually forcing them then the def is pretty damn good, if the off is giving them away however then the def is doing nothing but being in the right place at the right time. how many of our turnovers have been forced vs how many we have just given away?
    Well, in week 1, most of those TOs were given to them as opposed to forced if my memory holds up. I think I remember 2 being good plays by the ravens D. As poorly as we played in that game, 2 TOs in that instance may have been surmountable.

Thread Information