Thread: Best running performance since 2008 for Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Best running performance since 2008 for Steelers

Interesting piece in the Post Gazette today, talking about the solid ground game that the Steelers produced in their big win over the Titans.

Running tally
    The Steelers running game produced more yards and a better average than it has since piling up 206 in a 19-16 overtime victory Nov. 28 at Buffalo.
    But it was not a dominant performance Sunday. Other than the 76-yard run by Dwyer, the two backs managed just 80 yards on their other 25 carries, an average of 3.2 yards per carry and no touchdowns. Had Redman's 49 yards on 15 carries been accomplished by Mendenhall, it might have been viewed differently rather than celebrated.

Wide receivers Antonio Brown (10 yards) and Mike Wallace (8) combined for 18 yards on their two carries.

Once the Steelers offense cracked Tennessee's 10-yard line, the team turned to the pass because the goal-line ground game did not budge. The first series, on first down at the 8, Redman was held to no gain, and Ben Roethlisberger tossed an 8-yard touchdown pass to Heath Miller on second down.

On first down at Tennessee's 7, the Steelers did not try to run. Instead, Roethlisberger threw a 7-yard scoring pass to Hines Ward.

On their third trip near the goal line, with a first down at the 1, Redman got nothing and Roethlisberger threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to David Johnson on second down.
    Their most productive runs inside the 20 came on a third-quarter touchdown drive. On first down at the Titans' 22, Redman ran for 6 and then ran for 5 and a first down. Redman ran again from the 11 for no gain, Dwyer picked up 6 yards on second down and Roethlisberger followed with a 5-yard scoring pass to Ward.

Finally, after LaMarr Woodley's interception and the passing game brought the team to a first down at the 7, Dwyer got nothing on first down, Roethlisberger went to the air on the next two and, on fourth down at the 1, Tomlin had Shaun Suisham kick a field goal.

The Steelers didn't necessarily commit to the run either. All five touchdowns came through the air, and the Steelers threw almost twice as much in the first half as they ran -- 23 passes to 12 runs. They finished the game with 35 passes plus a sack and 28 runs.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Obviously Redman's big run helped the stats, and of course helped the offense in general. Still though, even with the sub 4.0 ypc average, it was the way they went about getting those yards. Factor in Brown and Wallace getting some carries reverse plays and what not, and you can see how that is all set up by the solid ground game by the backs.

If Redmand and Dwyer aren't running hard and getting first downs on the ground, those running plays to a receiver just do no work. They key is to suck everyone in to the pounding run game inside and then you can open up the stuff outside to the fast wideouts.

The key thing for me too was, the Steelers didn't just run, run, pass, in the redzone. They opened things up and found a way to get the points. That's what we've been screaming for. All we can do is hope they continue to keep it up.

My Mood
    Addicted
    If those 3.2 ypc open up the passing game thats good enough for me. On the ground or through the air, as long as we get the W.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

My Mood
    Horny
    plus Redman is a much better blocker than mendy!!! I think that was a lot of reason Ben had more time, and Stark of course, but I think Redman is 2x the blocker that Mendy is!

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoWard View Post
    plus Redman is a much better blocker than mendy!!! I think that was a lot of reason Ben had more time, and Stark of course, but I think Redman is 2x the blocker that Mendy is!
    Absoutely agree 100% Ry!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Dwyer on the other hand could use some help in the whole pass protection thing, LOL. I saw him get turned around or otherwise totally whiff on a few block attempts. That'll come with time though so I'm not worried about it.

The running game is all about patience and dedication. You stick to it and atleast get positive yardage, the defense will have to honor it. That sets you up later in the game.

It's funny, it seems like between Redman and Mendenhall the Steelers have the ultimate running back. Now if they just find a way to merge the two...lol

Thread Information