Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Tuesday, 10-11-11

Bookmark and Share

Tomlin Tuesday, 10-11-11

Tuesday, October 11, 2011
    Tuesday with Tomlin

The big news out of Tuesday's press conference was that Mike Tomlin only expects James Harrison to miss four weeks after having surgery to repair a broken orbital bone last week.

In fact, Tomlin wouldn't rule out Harrison returning sooner than that, saying if anyone could do so, Harrison would.

In other news, only Harrison and Aaron Smith have been declared out for Sunday's game against Jacksonville.

Mewelde Moore, Jason Worilds, Marcus Gilbert, Casey Hampton and Chris Kemoeatu are questionable.

Maurkice Pouncey, Cortez Allen, Rashed Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger are all expected to be available to play.

Interestingly enough, Tomlin didn't automatically declare Kemoeatu or Mendenhall the starters when they return, saying he would wait to see how they look in practice.

In addition, Tomlin said that William Gay and Keenan Lewis will continue to start ahead of Bryant McFadden.

"We're not going to fix it if it's not broken," Tomlin said.

The same goes for Lawrence Timmons at outside linebacker, even if Worilds is ready to go.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted
    4 weeks That's longer than I expected..

I like hearing that some of these guys aren't going to automatically get their spots back. Play the best man and make these guys compete if they want a spot. Love it.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think most of us were thinking about 3-6 week for James. The coaches are going to have to be careful to not let him return too soon if he wants too. If that eye socket bone isn't healed fully and he takes a shot on the head it could disastrous for him.

Great news about Lewis and Gay; both guys have earned the chance to continue to get the start.

Let's hope that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality carries over the offensive line and the game plan over all.

From the Trib

Defensive end Aaron Smith will miss his second consecutive game because of a sprained foot, while a number of other Steelers are questionable for Sunday's game against the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars because of injuries.

Those who may not play in the 1 p.m. game include right tackle Marcus Gilbert (shoulder), nose tackle Casey Hampton (shoulder), running back Mewelde Moore (ankle) and outside linebacker Jason Worilds (quad).

If Gilbert, who was knocked out of last Sunday's game is unable to play, Jonathan Scott will start at right tackle.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin indicated that Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster will remain the starters at left guard and right guard, respectively, which makes it likely that Chris Kemoeatu will miss his second straight game because of a knee injury.
    Ziggy Hood will start at left defensive end with Smith out and Chris Hoke will start at nose tackle if Hampton is unable to play.

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-11-2011 at 01:15 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    In addition, Tomlin said that William Gay and Keenan Lewis will continue to start ahead of Bryant McFadden.

I have no problem with this.

I assume Rashard is seeing the writing on the wall here....

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Rashard will be the starter if he's healthy, no doubt.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post

I have no problem with this.

I assume Rashard is seeing the writing on the wall here....
    Hopefully he took notes on Sunday too

My Mood
    jaguars-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rashard will be the starter if he's healthy, no doubt.
    I wouldnt be so sure about that. If Moore is unable to go on Sunday again then I stick with the Redman Dwyer 1-2 punch one more week and see how well it can do in consecutive weeks...The way Issac Redman runs with the ball when he gets his opportunities it's going to be hard for Tomlin to not give the guy more of an opportunity if he is making more progress with the running game and gaining more yards then Mendenhall is when he touches the ball.

I'm starting to buy into the Redman feature back thinking. Mike doesn't need to rush Mendy back into the line up so why not let 34 heal completely for our run??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    jaguars-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I like hearing that some of these guys aren't going to automatically get their spots back. Play the best man and make these guys compete if they want a spot. Love it.
    Im not putting either Aaron Smith back in the starting lineup when he is healthy period and Im not so sure I am doing the samething with Hampton either. Ziggy has earned the right to start over Smith at this point, and I think Heyward deserves more snaps and you cant deny the overwhelming successfully numbers the Steelers have when Chris Hoke starts at Nose Tackle in place of Casey Hampton.

Thread Information