Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we know more than an NFL coach?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville

Do we know more than an NFL coach?

I always get a kick out of fans who actually believe they know more than an NFL coach, arguably one the best football minds in the world. That being said, Bruce Arians is an idiot!

There is no question that he knows more about X's and O's than I do but he seems so darn stubborn about "his system".

1. A deaf, dumb, and blind man could understand that the Steelers should operate a quick passing game but it took him until week 5 to do it!

2. We all know that last year, our O-line was better on the right side but you simply can't design every run play to the right where the D is waiting.

3. We have the toughest WR in all of football......the perfect guy to hit on quick hitting routes.

I NEVER criticize the Steelers ownership or front office because they have proven themselves!

I NEVER criticized Noll or Cowher because they get paid big money to do what they do and I don't earn a penny coaching football.

I really wonder why Tomlin hasn't done anything about Arians...........I'm going to assume he is working on it behind the scenes and is too big of a man to talk about publicly.................it's the only way I can feel good about it!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We continue to beat this dead horse and will continue to do so until the Steelers start to use their weapons properly. It's not rocket science here from a fans perspective and we know more than the media or coaches give us credit for.

Having said that, the average fan doesn't know and probably will never know the x's and o's the way a coach does. We don't have access to the playbook, the players at practice every day, and all that goes on behind the scenes. We see players on gameday and listen to what they say to the media and run with it.

Give the coaches credit, they know their players better than anyone. Now, having said that, how many times does one coach get fired for running an underachieving team? It happens all the time, every year. The new coach comes in with virtually the same group of players and suddenly they start winning. See the 49ers and Bills for example this year.

Bruce Arians has his moments where he calls a brilliant game; however they are overshadowed by the countless times of beating his head against the wall running a gameplan that doesn't work.

I do, but I'm not sure about the rest of you.

My Mood
    Addicted
    We don't necessarily know more, we just see it from a different perspective.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I guarantee that 99% of us do not know more but I will also guarantee that many of us see things differently simply because we don't know these men as anything other than players. Personal relationships can weigh heavily on decision-making and I think Tomlin's loyalty at times has led to poor decisions about players playing and gameplans being developed.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's a two edged sword being a fan. We think we know a lot, and many of us do, however as Steeldad said we see them only as players. Honestly I think if the coaches thought like that sometimes, to a degree, we'd have a better chance of seeing young guys get on the field in place of aging veterans.

It seems like Tomlin is happy with Starks at LT now so we should be good there. I'm anxious to see what happens with the running backs.

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It's a two edged sword being a fan. We think we know a lot, and many of us do, however as Steeldad said we see them only as players. Honestly I think if the coaches thought like that sometimes, to a degree, we'd have a better chance of seeing young guys get on the field in place of aging veterans.

It seems like Tomlin is happy with Starks at LT now so we should be good there. I'm anxious to see what happens with the running backs.
    Nothing will happen with the running back Mendenhall is the starter until he show a drop off in ability like Parker did . Willie slowed down. Mendy hasn't slowed down if mendy played against the titans he would of had 150 yrds

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Nothing will happen with the running back Mendenhall is the starter until he show a drop off in ability like Parker did . Willie slowed down. Mendy hasn't slowed down if mendy played against the titans he would of had 150 yrds
    Willie never slowed down. He was soft. Couldn't hit the holes. Didn't pick up and yards after contact. Remind you of anyone...

Don't forget these guys have access to the players, and hours upon hours of game film. They have scouting reports, etc. With all those resources at their disposal, they'd better be smarter than the average fan.

If we did not, there would be no need for forums like these!
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information