Thread: Roethlisberger and Wallace on record pace

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Roethlisberger and Wallace on record pace

Wide receiver Reggie Wayne played with Peyton Manning for 10 seasons before this one and the two have hooked up for more touchdown passes of 40 yards or longer (12) than any other combination in the NFL.

In second place are Ben Roethlisberger and receiver Mike Wallace, who are five games into their third season together.

They have now done it 10 times after Wallace caught a 40-yard touchdown Sunday. Wallace also caught two from Charlie Batch during Roethlisberger's four-game suspension last season, tying Wayne with 12 total in his career.

After a start in which he was averaging in the low teens, Wallace's average per catch has climbed to 17.3 and his 536 yards receiving ranks third in the NFL.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wallace is a shoe in for the pro bowl this year if he keeps up this pace, no question. Both he and Ben have a great rapport together. Everytime Wallace goes streaking down the field and Ben hits him in stride it's a guaranteed touchdown.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    This fact is the source of my most incredible frustration I have ever experienced as a Steeler fan.

Against B'more, we were down 10 points when we left the hotel and it only got worse yet we never made a single attempt to use this combination to stop the D-line from pinning their ears back and trying to kill Ben. Wee didn't even attempt a pass longer than 15 yards!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Everytime Wallace goes streaking down the field and Ben hits him in stride it's a guaranteed touchdown.

If the OL could give Ben any time whatsoever, we'd see that a lot too.

--- Added 10/11/2011 at 08:53 AM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Against B'more, we were down 10 points when we left the hotel and it only got worse yet we never made a single attempt to use this combination to stop the D-line from pinning their ears back and trying to kill Ben. Wee didn't even attempt a pass longer than 15 yards!
    It's hard to attempt a pass longer than 15 yards when the QB is getting hit before the receivers get 5 yards down the field.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post

It's hard to attempt a pass longer than 15 yards when the QB is getting hit before the receivers get 5 yards down the field.
    I disagree. You can attempt a 20 yard pass with a one step drop. Especially when you have the fastest receiver in the NFL. Even if the pass isn't completed, you stop the D line from teeing off. The plays being called required Ben to drop back and look, last week we saw what happens when you throw to a spot from a one or three step drop. and we saw the effect it has on the D line.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Like any great QB-WR tandem, Wallace and Ben work really well together too. They're never not on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post

Note the 170 rushing yards on Sunday as a major reason why play action was there all day long.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Like any great QB-WR tandem, Wallace and Ben work really well together too. They're never not on the same page.
    Except in the Super Bowl and really that last drive.......

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Note the 170 rushing yards on Sunday as a major reason why play action was there all day long.
    No doubt, the run game sets up everything. There is no play action with it, period.

I'm excited to see what these 2 guys can do the rest of the season. Arians puts in about 5 homerun plays every game; last week we really only saw a couple of them. I was surprised we didn't see more given the amount of time Ben had to throw. Wallace could have had 3 TD's and 200 yds

Thread Information