Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Redman be the feature back or does Rashard get his job back?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Should Redman be the feature back or does Rashard get his job back?

Rashard suited up for the game on Sunday vs the Titans but never saw the field. When Redman went down with injury he began warming up on the sidelines; stretching, doing quick sprints, etc. However Tomlin never put him in the lineup as Jonathan Dwyer finished out the game.

Something else I noticed and maybe some of you did too. When the CBS camera's were on Mendenhall at various times during the game when the offense was on the field, not once did I see him cheering on the team or talking to the other backs. Now I realize we didn't have access to him for the whole 60 minutes but I found it odd that he was just standing there, almost with this sulking look on his face. When Redman went down they showed Rashard right after that and his eyes lit up as he started getting ready to hopefully go in. It just seemed to me that he wasn't being the most supportive teammate he could have been. Again I realize I may be off on this but that's how I took it.

As far as the game goes though, since he is Arians' proclaimed "workhorse", should he get his job back when he's healthy again? The Steelers need to be careful with this team right now. The win was great on Sunday but clearly Redman and Dwyer have the hot hand right now; being married to the notion that Rashard should get his job back as the starter may not necessarily be the way to go. As I've said before, Mendy is a very good back and nobody should think otherwise. He's talented and has done a lot for this team. However in today's NFL, especially when you're struggling, sometimes you need a spark. If that spark comes from someone else then so be it. It's all about winning now because you only have so many chances each year.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-11-2011 at 12:47 AM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    There was a shot where they showed him talking and laughing with Dwyer.

Had the game been very close at the point where Redman went down, I'm sure Mendenhall would have seen reps. However, baring the situation it made more sense to rest him and get Dwyer some reps. Steelers have stated that it is Mendenhalls job 100 %.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Something else I noticed and maybe some of you did too. When the CBS camera's were on Mendenhall at various times during the game when the offense was on the field, not once did I see him cheering on the team or talking to the other backs.

He was cheering. At one point I seen him give Redman a pound after a decent run. No starter should ever lose their job to an injury.But I do think Redman should get more reps more like a thunder and Lightning combo.

It's Rashards job as it should be. I think the only thing that will be different now is they will probably give the other guys a few more touches each game.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Sunshine
    If I were coach Redman and Dwyer are my RB's against Jacksonville with Mendy getting the roll Redman played earlier in the season.

Knowing the Steelers I'd be really shocked if Mendenhall doesn't start on Sunday.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    This is not a case where a starter should lose his job. That being said, I'd really like to see more Dwyer.

My Mood
    Manic
    The only change i would make is i would move dwyer ahead of memo
    Remember i think Dwyer would be on the practice squad if Batch didn't hurt his knee
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 10-11-2011 at 11:12 AM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I used to be of the thinking that a starter should not lose his job just because of injury. However in today's NFL, things just happen. If you go down with an injury and miss significant time, and your backup comes in and plays well, plays better than what you did then you have to atleast consider the fact that perhaps the backup should get the lion's share of the playtime.

It doesn't mean you forget about the previous starter, but maybe you begin to split the game time between the 2 players more evenly than what you did. This is a what have you done for me lately league, just because you were good before doesn't mean you're guaranteed a job no matter what.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I used to be of the thinking that a starter should not lose his job just because of injury. However in today's NFL, things just happen. If you go down with an injury and miss significant time, and your backup comes in and plays well, plays better than what you did then you have to atleast consider the fact that perhaps the backup should get the lion's share of the playtime.

It doesn't mean you forget about the previous starter, but maybe you begin to split the game time between the 2 players more evenly than what you did. This is a what have you done for me lately league, just because you were good before doesn't mean you're guaranteed a job no matter what.
    I agree with this to a degree. And I really like Redman's second effort!

Thread Information