Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run defense finally looking like it should

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Run defense finally looking like it should

I know that all of us were waiting for this day to come. It was getting kind of tiring and, to be frank, confusing for us a fanbase to see such a dominant unit in the front 7 from last year just get completely chewed up and spit out in every game thus far. Finally, they looked like they had some idea what was going on. Maybe this is just more proof that players on our defensive line should be subbed in and out periodically during a game to keep them fresh. It sure did the trick today.

I guess we won't know if it's just because CJ hasn't been himself this entire season, but everyone and their mother has been saying that he would definitely break 100 yards for this game and beat up our "old" defense. Either way, it's something to be positive about.

Titans just never run well against Steelers, so I was honestly not too surprised. Especially seeing that CJ have been awful so far in this season. Hoke was working wonders compared to Hampton though. Did not like Timmons a whole lot on the outside, but Woodley stepped up big time tonight. I'm still no fan of Hood, but he held his own somewhat... Keisel is amazing and Heyward is just a big big strong man!
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You could see the fire in their eyes, the intensity, they were playing with a purpose. Mike Tomlin said this week; the run defense will improve when the running game on offense improves. The two go hand. When the offense runs the ball the defense is able to do their job better. They aren't on the field as long and that gives them time to make adjustments and game plan for what the opposition is doing. They came out with a purpose and intensity that has been invisible thus far in the 2011 season. Linebackers were crashing the line of scrimmage, the defensive line was getting off blocks and getting penetration. When they did string out the play they were able to stay in the gaps and keep Chris Johnson from cutting it up field for big chunks of yardage.

This is the type of defense we are used to seeing out of this group. The big is as I mentioned, the defensive line. When the front 3 can do their job it opens up everything else in the run stopping game plan. Chris Hoke had a great game, routinely in the backfield forcing Johnson to alter his planned route. Ziggy Hood had a much better game this week, clearly at home more on the left side of the line than the right. The defense may have been without Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith, 2 of the best ever at stopping the run but for today atleast, you'd never know they were missing.

It's like Lebeau said this week; the Steelers didn't suddenly forget how to play defense. Sometimes things just happen and you need to adjust your personnel and tweak your scheme a bit till you find the right combination for this years team.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-09-2011 at 08:52 PM.

I was impressed, well I knew the young guys could do it, they just needed the chance. Im glad for them, I saw some positives for sure. I was so stoked when Heyward got the sack/fumble. To bad we didnt recover it

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Heyward is going to be a beast.....I want to see more and more of him.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I heard on the pregame show, that Lebeau said he was well past "plan B" and was onto "plan G" Give him credit, he knows how to push the buttons of this team. I'm sure the coaches road them all week long about stepping up their game and taking care of their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Heyward is going to be a beast.....I want to see more and more of him.....
    Same here man...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

You know what I saw? Guys flying to the ball. That was the biggest difference in my eyes.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Guys flying to ball instead of being blown off the ball was good to see. I even noticed Chris Hoke actually doing some type of leap or hop, if you can do that with a guy his size, over blockers that were trying to chop him. I had to do a double take, LOL.

As much as I love big ole Casey there's no way he's leaping over anyone.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Obviously a huge improvement in the D. I thought McClendon did a nice job in there as well. Seemed like Coach Dad was running some new combinations out there on the DL. Having DaBeard back helped too.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Thread Information