Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special teams almost screwed the pooch

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Special teams almost screwed the pooch

Just to play devil's advocate a little here. The onside kick recovered by the Titans could have been bad, had Woodley not made that amazing pick. Just another play by special teams that makes you worried for things to come in the future. You have to be ready for that to happen on every single play, especially when a team seems to be down and out. They were completely taken off guard by that call, and that's not something that you like to see.

That being said, maybe it's a good thing that this happened in a game that was pretty much in our control for all 60 minutes. Hopefully Everest gives them an ear full about that play, and they'll be looking out for it a little more with each kickoff.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate a little here. The onside kick recovered by the Titans could have been bad, had Woodley not made that amazing pick. Just another play by special teams that makes you worried for things to come in the future. You have to be ready for that to happen on every single play, especially when a team seems to be down and out. They were completely taken off guard by that call, and that's not something that you like to see.

That being said, maybe it's a good thing that this happened in a game that was pretty much in our control for all 60 minutes. Hopefully Everest gives them an ear full about that play, and they'll be looking out for it a little more with each kickoff.
    The special teams were a mixed bag today...two really good plays in the fake punt and long return by Brown....But there was no excuse for the special teams to be so clueless on that onside kick and another blocked kick this time a punt.....

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    The special teams were a mixed bag today...two really good plays in the fake punt and long return by Brown....But there was no excuse for the special teams to be so clueless on that onside kick and another blocked kick this time a punt.....
    Oh yeahhh the blocked punt. Knew I was forgetting something.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's 2 blocked kicks in 2 weeks; one on a FG and one a punt. The coverage units are solid, no complaints.

I also have no complaints about Suisham or Sepulveda's kicking. However the blocking on those kicks has been really, really, bad. You just can't allow that type of pressure to come through up the middle like that.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    That's 2 blocked kicks in 2 weeks; one on a FG and one a punt. The coverage units are solid, no complaints.

I also have no complaints about Suisham or Sepulveda's kicking. However the blocking on those kicks has been really, really, bad. You just can't allow that type of pressure to come through up the middle like that.
    No complaints at all on the coverage units. This team has had their fair share of special teams problems in the last few years. It's refreshing to have a punter that's not Mitch Berger, and a coverage team that doesn't allow a minimum of a 50 yard run back on every single return.

It's the mental mistakes that's making me shake my head here. Special teams can make or break a game, and they've come close to letting it break the game.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah it's mental mistakes and execution on the blockers. It's correctable but man it cost them last week and it nearly cost them this week. Had they not been up by 3 possessions and had it not been by a heads up play by Woodley it could have been disaster.

Clearly they have work to do, special teams can be a killer.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Stan Savaran made a good point. On that first onsides kick where Arnaz Battle jumped up to get it, the Titan defender hit him before the ball got there. That should have been a penalty. You can hit the defender in that situation before the ball gets there. Officials missed that one.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate a little here. The onside kick recovered by the Titans could have been bad, had Woodley not made that amazing pick.

You make a great point Babe. The special teams have been very poor the last couple weeks. It hasn't come back to hurt, because 2 TDs were called back and Woodly picked the ball off, but against better teams, those are going to be devastating.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Tale of two halves with special teams

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

The blocked punt was awful; they need to change the personnel up front or get into their heads, because that isn't going to help this team throughout the season.

The recovered onside kick pissed me off the most, though. As a coach, you have to know that is the only opportunity for your opponent to get back in the game. Put your hands team out there and be ready for it.

Thread Information