Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Redman and Dwyer combo, it's a keeper

Bookmark and Share
    Well, if everyone knows that Mendenhall is an average back, we're not going to get a second round pick for him regardless. He was 7th last year in rushing and 16th the year before, although that was with 5 or 6 games fewer than the other backs. I'd say that is above average. Like I've said, I agree that Mendenhall have been bad so far this season, and Redman probably have been better. I just don't agree with him being able to be a feature back, which tonight also showed me. Sure, the o-line is total trash right now, but the line have not exactly been great the last two years either.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Well, if everyone knows that Mendenhall is an average back, we're not going to get a second round pick for him regardless. He was 7th last year in rushing and 16th the year before, although that was with 5 or 6 games fewer than the other backs. I'd say that is above average. Like I've said, I agree that Mendenhall have been bad so far this season, and Redman probably have been better. I just don't agree with him being able to be a feature back, which tonight also showed me. Sure, the o-line is total trash right now, but the line have not exactly been great the last two years either.
    I think this is the first time in two years this line has looked so good. Ben was only sacked once, got rid of it quicker due to BA calls. Some good running lanes and wasnt alot of pressure mon Ben at all.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Agreed for the most part. Maybe he is slightly above average. He has his moments but like I said, I don't think he's the long term answer. And as of now, we'd have more success with the Redman/Dwyer or Redman/memo combo. But then again, the o-line did look better. Maybe he comes out and plays a little better with the addition of Starks next week. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    I think this is the first time in two years this line has looked so good. Ben was only sacked once, got rid of it quicker due to BA calls. Some good running lanes and wasnt alot of pressure mon Ben at all.
    I would say that is because the human is pretty good at selective memory :P The o-line actually had glimpses of looking very good at times last year. It is just not easy to remember that Steelers ever had an o-line The line did look very good today though, especially compared to the rest of the season.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Mendenhall has more god given natural talent then Redman for sure.....I do think Redman has better vision and is a better fit with this current OL.........

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    When I saw that he only had 50 yards, I was thinking there's no way. I think this is definitely one of the cases where the stats don't tell the whole story.
    I'm with you i'm not a stat guy i'm a situational guy my self. To prove a point lets just take that 3.2 yards stat, if he carries twice thats a little over 3rd and 3 how is that not productive? He got the tough yards we needed and he took what was there along with stealing a yard or two. Another way he affects the game is with Mendy one person can bring him down, with Redman you have to gang tackle him which makes running the playaction with him more effective because the whole D is on alert. With that said no way is he a feature back but he needs a lot more carries then he was getting when Mendy was starting
    Last edited by Mike Tomlin; 10-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I don't know.. I thought Redman was pretty bad. 3.2 ypc is not at all good.
    For the season Redman YPC are 4.2 Mendy YPC 3.0.

If you want to take it one game at at time as you have, against Houston Mendenhall AVG 2.8 Redman AVG 6.7

Colts game Mendy 2.1 Redman 2.0

Seahawks mendy 3.5 Redman 4.9

Ravens Mendy 3.8 Redman 4.0
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

He might have had bad stats but how many yards did he get after contact? Probably 25 yards

All this trade Mendenhall **** is driving me crazy. He has his faults but he's clearly the best back we have. It just so happens the offensive line played it's best game of the season, by far, today and Mendenhall wasn't there to reap the benefits. With some of the holes the line was creating today, mendenhall would've had a monster game.

I'm not trying to take any credit away from Redman or
    Dwyer, but come on, it's one game. Max Starks would've been able to pick up 20 yards on that Dwyer run and I guarantee you Mendenhall would've scored.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I love Redman. Why? Because he has a toughness about him that is a core element of our team. Something that Mendy doesn't display.

Mendy doesn't drag tackler the way Redman does. Mendy doesn't grind as good as Redman. But Mendy in space is a better runner then Redman. And Mendy is more of a "go the distance" threat then Redman. And that is why Mendy is the starter.

With all that said, if we had a regular training camp/preseason, Dwyer would be better then both.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information