Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Keisel's return help jump start the rush defense?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Does Keisel's return help jump start the rush defense?

Keisel missed about 2 games but is practicing and will play at his usual defensive end spot on Sunday when the Steelers host the Titans.

He was there in the week 1 blowout to the Ravens, but he was there for the week 2 win vs Seattle. It's hard to hold that first game against any of them single handedly. The entire team played like crap but clearly Brett's presence has been missed. If you remember, Lynch did next to nothing and the Steelers were able to shut down Seattle. Now obviously Keisel wasn't the only reason they won that game. However, without him being in the lineup the last weeks it has been noticeable.

Getting the bearded beast back is only going to help this team if you think about it. He's an underrated lineman who is tough enough to hold his own against the lineman to stop the run but also can get some good pressure in the pass rush. Ziggy Hood has been somewhat unimpressive in relief of Keisel. Besides, Brett is the youngest of the starting 3 and the only likely one to still be around in 2012. At that point he'll be the elder statesman of the starters.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Certainly can't hurt BRC. His presence creates tougher passing lanes for QBs and should be able to get some pressure if we continue to rotate the DL.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Banned
    I would say No.

I think he's better than Smith at this point. Still, I would prefer seeing both Hood and Heyward on the field at the same time.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I think he's better than Smith at this point. Still, I would prefer seeing both Hood and Heyward on the field at the same time.

If the injuries keep ravaging this team you just might see that combo before the year is over.

Keisel is clearly better than both Hood and Heyward right now so perhaps a Keisel and Hood combo would be something that might boost the defensive line. Even with Aaron Smith comes back I still give Hood more reps at his spot. The only way this dude is going to continue to improve is by more playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    If the injuries keep ravaging this team you just might see that combo before the year is over.

Keisel is clearly better than both Hood and Heyward right now so perhaps a Keisel and Hood combo would be something that might boost the defensive line. Even with Aaron Smith comes back I still give Hood more reps at his spot. The only way this dude is going to continue to improve is by more playing time.
    What Kiesel does more than any other Steelers D-Lineman is have an inate feel for the football and the ability to more often than not, bat the ball down at the LOS. Other than Kiesel, I don't see anyo other D-Lineman getting hands up trying to sawt the ball at the LOS. I blame that on Johnny Mitchell.

Hood has been getting some good pressure on the QB in his playing time. Keisel and Hood should be the starters IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    This ^

once again...hood is ****ing terrible.

its a shame but i think its time to cut ties with smith, hes just not playing at the level were used to seeing him....kesiel, hood, heyward, and sly alll need reps to sure up the run defense

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We were all hoping Smith would be able to return to form this year, and I'm sure he's not happy with his play either. He's a legend in the 34 defense across the league but father time and injuries show no favors to anyone.

Brett is definitely one of the most underrated lineman in the NFL.

Thread Information