Thread: Will Gay and Keenan Lewis might not be as bad as you think

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Will Gay and Keenan Lewis might not be as bad as you think

For all their problems through four games this season, from injuries to lack of production to their inability to stop the run, the Steelers' traditional Achilles' heel is growing stronger.

Cornerback has quietly developed into a competent position. It also will see the first definitive change in starters on the team this season.

Bryant McFadden, who had resumed his starting role at left cornerback after the Steelers got him back in a trade from Arizona last year, has apparently dropped from starter to No. 4 cornerback.

Although McFadden has practiced the past three weeks and his hamstring injury has healed, William Gay will make his fourth start at left cornerback Sunday. When they move to the dime defense, it will be Keenan Lewis again joining the secondary as the third cornerback and not McFadden.

Coach Mike Tomlin made it pretty clear Tuesday when asked if McFadden will return to his starting job.

"I like what's going on with some of the men," Tomlin answered.
    The Steelers have the top pass defense in the NFL, as measured by their league-low 157.5 yards passing allowed per game. One reason they may be up there in pass defense is because they are way down there in run defense at No. 22.

Yet coordinator Dick LeBeau talks highly of the job Gay and Lewis have done on the other side of the phenomenal play of cornerback Ike Taylor, who has allowed about half a dozen pass completions over him, none significant.
    "They've done real well, obviously, our pass numbers reflect they've done a good job," LeBeau said.

"We have to get more interceptions, we're not turning the ball over enough and that includes getting some fumbles and some picks."

The Steelers are in the unique position of having the top pass defense and being the only team in the NFL without an interception. They have one turnover, James Harrison's sack/fumble that led to Troy Polamalu's 16-yard touchdown return against the Colts.

Gay has been with the Steelers five seasons and he started for them in 2009 after McFadden fled to Arizona as a free agent. They reacquired McFadden in a trade and he won his job back last season.

The intrigue here is the improvement of Lewis. He seemed lost at times in his first two seasons after the Steelers drafted him in the third round in 2009. He has ideal size at 6 feet, 208 pounds, good speed and was a four-time Academic All-Pac 10 at Oregon State. He made a nice play on Texans wide receiver Jacoby Jones to deflect a deep pass away on third down in the fourth quarter Sunday to force a punt that gave the offense one last chance to tie it from midfield.

"The older you get, you have to grow at this position," Lewis said. "Rarely do you find too many college corners to come in and be starters right away. I just sat back and learned."

Said LeBeau: "We drafted him fairly early so we always had high hopes for him in terms of athleticism and the ability to see the ball and play the ball. He's coming on really well right now. I think it's all in front of him now."

I like Lewis but my worry is they haven't been tested yet..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Noone ever said Lewis was bad lol

ive said lewis was bad for years, because he was. he was impressive this camp and preseason though...not as much as warren and butler, but still maybe not a complete waste.

ive never had a problem with gay, as a NB at least

My Mood
    Addicted
    Give the credit where credit is due obviously Carnell Lake have our DB's playing better...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's true, they have not been tested very much yet. As long as teams can continue to run on this defense they won't be tested. I'm anxious to see how they respond. I've got faith in Carnell Lake. If anybody knows how a secondary should be played, it's him. The dude has played every position in the Steelers defensive backfield.

Let's see if they do this article after the New England game.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I like Lewis but my worry is they haven't been tested yet..
    Very true. When the opposing team is able to run for 180 yards, there really isn't that much need to pass.

Rookie Free Agent SteelCurtain17's Avatar
    I agree with most people here when they say that these guys haven't been really tested that much so far this season. With the way teams have been running on us they have no need to try and pass.
    Fan4Life

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Let's see if they do this article after the New England game.

Hasselbeck will throw atleast some in this game so in theory they should get atleast somewhat of a test. You're right though, that New England game will be a huge test. Almost more for the linebackers as much as the secondary. With the way they use the tight end if the linebackers don't cover well he'll have a field day. I would imagine they'll try and put Troy on a tight end for that game because other than that Timmons is the only linebacker that can somewhat hang with a good tight end. Either way it'll be a huge test.

Lewis has done enough good things so far that he's definitely earned the chance to get more reps.

Thread Information