Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is looking forward to seeing Timmons play outside linebacker

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Fight
    I'm excited and as I put in the other thread
    I remember the year Harrison was defensive player of the year MT said that Harrison wasn't even the best pass rusher on the team, that Timmons was better than him
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Blazedby92 View Post
    I'm excited and as I put in the other thread
    I remember the year Harrison was defensive player of the year MT said that Harrison wasn't even the best pass rusher on the team, that Timmons was better than him
    Let's see it, Harrison has been a non-issue for teams thus far...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    Worilds would be playing but he hurt his quad

--- Added 10/5/2011 at 01:59 PM ---

maybe move carter inside?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Carter isn't ready according to team sources. He's been battling some injuries of his own but being a rookie I'm sure they'd rather not stick him out there in such an important position unless they absolutely had too due to injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Worilds would be playing but he hurt his quad

--- Added 10/5/2011 at 01:59 PM ---

maybe move carter inside?
    Sucks I thought he showed a flash or two against the texans..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

WHY WOULD THEY EVEN RUN ANYTHING HIS WAY WHEN THEY CAN JUST RUN RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE. My bad for caps >.>

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    WHY WOULD THEY EVEN RUN ANYTHING HIS WAY WHEN THEY CAN JUST RUN RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE. My bad for caps >.>
    No problem here, let them run away from Timmons all day if they want to. That just means the Steelers only have to worry about defending half the field.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I don't know what to think...Its not like Timmons has been playing lights out either and now Foote will be starting....lol

My Mood
    Manic
    Timmons = Chad brown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Lawrence Timmons will start today at right outside linebacker and remain there until either James Harrison returns to play in four to six weeks or they determine Jason Worilds is healthy and good enough to go there.
    Thus, Timmons could become the next Chad Brown.

A starting inside linebacker who can move to start at outside linebacker does not happen successfully every day. It happened just once previously in this salary-cap generation with the Steelers, or at least 20 years. And that linebacker's career flourished after moving to the outside.

Timmons will be the latest to try it. He has played there before. When the Steelers drafted him in the first round in 2007, they had him learn the inside and out because they were not quite sure where he would play. Because of Harrison and because of the player drafted behind Timmons in the second round, LaMarr Woodley, Timmons played inside. He has made two starts at outside linebacker, once for Harrison and once for LaMarr Woodley, who were injured, and both in the 2008 season.

Brown moved from inside linebacker to the outside also because of an injury.
    The Steelers drafted him in the second round in 1993. It was the same year they signed Kevin Greene as a free agent. Greene played left-outside linebacker. Greg Lloyd played right-outside linebacker.

Brown, as well as Timmons, learned to play inside and out, and he became their starting inside linebacker next to Levon Kirkland in 1994. He was still there for the 1996 opener in Jacksonville. That day, Lloyd's knee was ripped apart and Brown moved to right-outside linebacker.

Brown went on to have an outstanding season with 13 sacks, at the time the fourth most in Steelers history and just two off their record. As it was, 1996 was his final season under contract. The Steelers had signed Greg Lloyd to a big contract before his injury and they believed he would come back strong. There was no money -- nor room -- at outside linebacker for Brown because Jason Gildon had a foothold on the left side. If he were to re-sign, he would have had to play inside linebacker again.
    Brown was swept away by the money man in Seattle, Paul Allen, who swooped in with his private plane and carried him away. He was one of the few truly outstanding players the Steelers let get away in free agency, most of them in the 1990s.
    Brown went on to have a long, successful career in Seattle and came back to the Steelers briefly in 2006. He might have made more than three Pro Bowls had he played in a 3-4 defense, but he played outside linebacker in a 4-3 in Seattle, offering little chance for sacks.

Can Timmons follow in Brown's shoes? There's no reason to think that Harrison is at the end of his career, nor that the eye injury will have the devastating effect that Lloyd's knee injury had on his career. But the Steelers already have Timmons signed to a new contract. He can move back to inside linebacker and, in a few years, who knows? He could move back outside.

Inside? Outside? What's the difference?
    The big difference for Timmons today will be playing on the line of scrimmage rather than behind it.

"And that is different," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said.
    The Steelers have used Timmons at times to rush the passer from the outside in their nickel defense, so he is used to that. He also has moved to outside linebacker in the middle of games when there has been an injury, such as vs. Miami and Tampa Bay last season.

"He has played outside linebacker in the NFL and not just a snap or two, LeBeau said. "I would say six or seven games. We feel good about the experience factor there."
    Timmons' eyes lit up when he talked about one advantage of playing outside linebacker -- sacks.

"At inside, you get more tackles," said the team's leader in 2010 (and second this season behind Troy Polamalu). "But at outside, you get an opportunity to get more sacks. It depends on what you want. I do like sacks, so I take this as a great opportunity for me."

Thread Information