Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Chop Block is Killing the Defenses Run Stopping Ability

Bookmark and Share
    Deep in Enemy Territory 70 miles North of Bungleland

The Chop Block is Killing the Defenses Run Stopping Ability

It all started with the Ratbirds pulling this ploy out of the woodwork. Never has the chop block been used so much as this season.

Just chop block Big Snack and the rest of the Defense will fall like cards.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The chop block has been legal for years, technically. Teams like the Broncos used to make a living out of it. Now it's brought back to the forefront of discussion thanks to the Ravens extreme use of it in week 1. They used it very effectively and basically took Hampton right out of the game. Let's face it, you can't do much good lying on the ground if you're a defender.

The Steelers did it for years too, and when it's done correctly it's legal. I use the term correctly very loosely because anytime you can take out a players knees while he's engaged with another defender, is not a good thing. The fact is, it's part of the NFL and it's not going away. The NFL says it's ok as long as that player is already locked up with another. So basically a 2 on 1 situation is permissible for this type of blocking tactic by an offensive line. However if a player is not engaged with a blocker and someone comes along and takes his knees out, they are supposed to call that.

Clearly guys like Hampton are having a tough time with it so far this season. He brought it to the media's attention but he isn't crying about it. It's life in the NFL and he knows he needs to find a way to overcome this tactic if the Steelers run defense is going to survive. Until the Steelers prove they can overcome it, it's not going away.

Don't forget too, cut back runners have always given the Steelers fits and so far this year they've faced 3 very good ones. Addai, Foster, and Rice.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The DL better learn to adjust since teams won't stop doing it....

Maybe our oline should learn this technique?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Maybe our oline should learn this technique?
    They still would **** it up somehow......

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    They still would **** it up somehow......
    The truth hurts doesn't it lol
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    The truth hurts doesn't it lol
    It does man..... I have never seen such a hot pile of steaming dog crap like that offensive line.....lol All I can do is laugh at this point....getting angry really doesn't help since I swear I almost gave myself a heart attack yelling at those slugs the whole game Sunday.....

Like I said a few years back, Woodley is vastly overrated. A majority of the long runs this season have come from his side. He's not being double teamed like Harrison. He's almost always 1-on-1 with a RT or TE. He's the weak link along with Smith and Farrior.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Zone-blocking new nemesis

The tape from the loss in Houston, no doubt, already found its way into the hands of halfback Chris Johnson and the Tennessee Titans, a team trying to figure out why it has been unable to run the ball effectively.

The Steelers, who ranked third best in the NFL since 1970 in stopping the run last season by allowing just 62.8 rushing yards per game, are allowing nearly twice that much this season (119.5 per game), 23rd in the league.

"You know how the league goes, it's a copy-cat league," safety Ryan Clark said. "Once you put certain things on film, teams will attack you that way. So, until we put a stop to teams running the football on us, I think you're going to see that week in and week out."

The Steelers suddenly, shockingly, cannot stop the run, and the two teams that have had the most success, the Baltimore Ravens (170 yards) and Houston Texans (180 yards) have run similar blocking schemes and used similar game plans with their backs. They zone block, chop block and their backs cut back against the flow.

"That zone scheme, we've been having a little trouble stopping," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "Can't make no bones about it, that's what it is. We just have to figure out a way to get guys on the ground and make plays."
    Hampton expects the Titans and most future opponents to follow that formula until the Steelers stop it.

"You know, it's a copy-cat league. Whenever something works, that's what everybody's doing -- cut the backside guy and let the linemen run and the back pick and choose. It's not a physical thing, it's just a thing where you make guys make plays and we're just not doing a good job of making plays.

"It's a great scheme if you have a patient back who hits it up in there, and, the two times we had trouble with it, you had two patient backs. That's the scheme, man, that's just the way they're doing it."

Baltimore's Ray Rice ran 19 times for 107 yards against the Steelers in the opener and Arian Foster added 155 yards on 30 carries Sunday in Houston, the most yards by a back against them in the past eight years.

Linebacker James Farrior, the captain of the defense, also cited the zone-blocking schemes as causing the Steelers problems.

"Yeah, it has been. It's been giving us some problems, obviously, so we got to get it right."

The solution, he said, is for players to perform better fundamentally.
    "We just have to tackle better, communicate better. I mean, there's not really a whole lot of rocket science to it -- everybody staying up, [defend] the backend cut, everybody playing their gap. Foster was very patient in the running game. He waited and waited and waited and let his blocks set up and went to the hole he saw."
    Farrior also believes opponents will try to copy what the Ravens and Texans did, even if they do not usually use a zone-blocking scheme.
    "I expect to see it now. I think they're going to try."

Quote Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
    Like I said a few years back, Woodley is vastly overrated. A majority of the long runs this season have come from his side. He's not being double teamed like Harrison. He's almost always 1-on-1 with a RT or TE. He's the weak link along with Smith and Farrior.
    This article talks about Woodley:

Sunday, October 02, 2011
    Post-Houston thoughts

The Steelers made enough mistakes in this game to last them a season, but were somehow in it to the end.

The mistakes, though, were made by many of the players the Steelers consider their future, which is somewhat disconcerting.

You had Ben Roethlisberger refusing to take checkdowns that were available, instead holding onto the ball far longer than he should and taking some ridiculous hits. I know, it's an age-old issue for Roethlisberger, but you're supposed to get wiser as you get older.

You had Mike Wallace taking a silly taunting penalty after a great 22-yard catch-and-run in the first quarter that would have put the ball inside Houston territory. Instead, the Steelers were forced to punt later from their own 48 instead of possibly being in field goal range. Wallace has to be better than that.

You had LaMarr Woodley constantly getting too far upfield on runs away from him, allowing Arian Foster lanes to cut back to his side.

"I have to be better on that," Woodley said. "I have to play the cutback and the boot instead of just playing the boot."

Ya think?

You had Antonio Brown making some great adjustments on back-shoulder throws. But then fair-catching a punt at his own 5 and being seemingly oblivious to what he was supposed to do on hot routes on a number of occasions.

You had Maurkice Pouncey taking a stupid unnecessary roughness penalty after a nice run by Mewelde Moore to the Houston 6 at the end of the first half. That pushed the Steelers back to the 21 and set up what would be a blocked field goal to end the first half.

You've got to be better than that if you hope to win on the road against quality opponents.

© Is the season over? Certainly not.

Few expected the Steelers to win in Houston. It was disconcerting to see how they lost, with Houston running the ball at will in the first half.

The Steelers did tighten up in the second half - save the 42-yard TD run by Foster - but, again, you have to be better than that to win on the road against a quality opponent.

© Roethlisberger was in a walking boot and on crutches after the game after suffering a sprained foot.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't push to play next week, however, with the season on the line against a surprisingly good Tennessee team.

The Titans have already beaten Baltimore and Cleveland, so if the Steelers can find a way to beat Tennessee, it's like making up a game on the competition.

© Mike Wallace had four catches for 77 yards in the first half, then wasn't targeted again in the second half.

There were some opportunities for Wallace without safety coverage over the top in this game, but the Texans gambled that their blitz could force Roethlisberger to throw before Wallace had a chance to get deep.

It worked, save a 40-yard catch by Wallace in the second quarter.

Most of the time, however, Wallace was bracketed, something the Steelers had better get used to.

© If I'm Mike Tomlin, I go for it on 4th and inches from the 8 down 10-7 on the opening play of the fourth quarter.

The Steelers had just run seven times for 55 yards and had the Texans on their heels.

Instead, Tomlin kicked a field goal and took the 10-10 tie.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information