Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New CBA hurting performance.

Bookmark and Share
    Hasn't effected many other teams, just the Steelers??

It's the same for everyone I don't buy it!

The teams that were suppose to be good are still good! Hell even Cinci having a rookie QB is not seeming bothered by it! As a team you make adjustments, lighten up the playbook etc etc, this team is constantly shooting themselves in the foot and it comes from Tomlin not wanting to make changes.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers aren't the only team suffering right now. Teams like the Patriots are having problems on defense, the Jets, the Steelers, the Eagles, the Giants. All teams that pride themselves on being physical are seeming to have issues this year.

The Ravens have had a cake schedule so far this year so their defense has barely been tested. Their tough schedule comes in the 2nd half when you would hope that everyone will start to really get it in gear.

Regardless, the fact that the Steelers can't work out the way they are used too is a problem that isn't going away. Tomlin is going to have find new ways to push this teams buttons.

The Ravens handled the Jets like a pee wee team, that was their statement game, IMO it would of effected them more seeing how they have 20 new faces in purple, they've not missed a beat!

I'm just saying this new CBA cannot be the excuse were using is it??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    The Steelers aren't the only team suffering right now. Teams like the Patriots are having problems on defense, the Jets, the Steelers, the Eagles, the Giants. All teams that pride themselves on being physical are seeming to have issues this year.
    I think the Patriots are having problems on defense because they are a poor defensive team. I don't think that really has a lot to do with the CBA issues. Although, they do have a number of young guys that would have benefitted from the additional reps (then again, the Steelers have a number of old guys who should have benefitted from the time off, and already know the system.)

The Ravens have had a cake schedule so far this year so their defense has barely been tested.
    The Jets and the Steelers are supposed to be in the upper eschelon of the AFC and Baltimore destroyed both. Not beat, but destroyed.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers are burning their "twice in the same week padded practice card" this week.

Fans clamoring for change after the Steelers' 17-10 loss in Houston will have to settle for an adjustment to the team's practice routine.
    Coach Mike Tomlin all but said Tuesday that the Steelers will practice twice in pads this week -- one more than usual -- as they work on fundamentals such as blocking and tackling.

The collective bargaining agreement ratified in August permits 14 practices in pads during the regular season. Teams are allowed two padded practices in the same week only once during the season.

"There's no time like the present, given how we've performed," Tomlin said at his weekly news conference.

Indeed, the Steelers' two victories have come against teams that have one win combined. They have 10 more turnovers than takeaways -- they are last in the NFL in that category -- and an offense loaded with talented skill players ranks near the bottom of the league in scoring.

Tomlin said his players "better have a sense of urgency" as they prepare for a 1 p.m. game Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans, and that "they are hacked off, and they should be."

But he didn't waver from his postgame comments in Houston, reiterating that the Steelers' problems can be fixed with a back-to-basics approach this week at practice.
    "We are not going to make something out of this that it's not," he said of the Steelers' 2-2 start. "We understand that we are capable of playing better. We know where the solutions lie -- within us and how we prepare, and ultimately how we perform. We have to get better technically. We have to get better from an assignment standpoint, not only on defense but also on offense and special teams."
    Cornerback William Gay said shoddy tackling contributed to the Steelers allowing 155 rushing yards to Arian Foster last Sunday. Foster became the third running back to average more than 5 yards carry against the Steelers this season.
    They yielded just 3.0 yards per carry in 2010.

"We just missed tackles," Gay said of the Steelers' play against the Texans. "If you look at the film, that's all you see. We are going to correct that. That's a must for our defense."

Tomlin said some of the Steelers' problems have been magnified and perhaps even blown out of proportion because of high expectations that are a product of past success.

"There is a fine line in performing well and sub-standard," he said, specifically in regard to the Steelers' run defense. "Some of the mistakes are mental, some are physical. They are not all centrally located in one person or position. But when you add those things up over the course of a football game, you get eight to 10 snaps where someone is letting you down either mentally or physically. Then you have the opportunity to give up some big yards."

There is a limit to what the Steelers can do in practice because there is no actual tackling. But veteran free safety Ryan Clark said the Steelers can make necessary corrections through a renewed commitment to getting better.

"Take practice seriously when you get opportunities with your coach in individual periods, and also when you're going through your team periods," he said. "When we have our pads on we need to carry them in a way that we're getting better. As veterans and guys that play really hard on Sunday, sometimes you're all sore on Wednesday or sore on Thursday. These are things we have to work through and be ready to come out and play and be ready to practice hard."

Hey Mike, keep the vets on the practice field as well, if they burn out in practice there's an even better chance they'll burn out during the game, phase them out...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    i gaurantee there are teams (ravens) that practice in pads more than the cba says too it can only give you an advantage especially in the running game

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    i gaurantee there are teams (ravens) that practice in pads more than the cba says too it can only give you an advantage especially in the running game
    I highly doubt it. You can't keep those things secret. There are 45 players, including the Union Rep from the team. One of them would have complained or at least let it slip to the media.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You have to be concerned when you're team has to burn that extra practice in pads so early in the season. Last year Tomlin did it towards the end of the season if I remember correctly and the players responded in a positive way. They all loved it. Now if he has to push buttons with this team later in the year that card is already spent. A total blunder by the players to allow this part of the CBA to get approved.

Only way to effectively plug some gaps along the LOS is to run blitz more often, execute line twists, the way teams do to us on 1st down. You're vulnerable to play action, but if the defense can keep teams in 3rd and 6 or more, percentages favor the defense. It's not like the defense is out of position (sometimes they get blown off the ball), but more than anything, they just need to tackle better and stob arm tackling and reaching.

Thread Information