Thread: You can't build a team from the outside in

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

You can't build a team from the outside in

Right now the Steelers are sitting at 2-2, but it might as well be 1-3. We can debate that 9 ways to Sunday and in the Steelers section here on SA, we are certainly doing that and then some. Let's focus for just a bit on why this is happening this year.

Art Rooney II hired Mike Tomlin in 2007, to take over after Bill Cowher stepped down. Let's face it, Tomlin inherited a pretty good team. In his second year they went too and won Super Bowl XLIII. In 2010, even after Ben Roethlisberger was absent for the first 4 games, they were the AFC Champions and had a chance to win the game even up until the last drive. Over the years since Mike has taken over he has had a pretty darn prolific group of players. Most new coaches will kill to walk into their office knowing their roster includes names like: Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Ben Roethlisber, Hines Ward, Ike Taylor, James Harrison, James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark, Heath Miller, and on down the line. These were established players, pro bowl, super bowl, winning players. They knew how to win, they knew what it took to play against the best of the best. Tomlin also had the luxury of one of the great defensive minds NFL history, in Dick Lebeau, to coach his defense. Basically all he had to do was not screw it up.

Tomlin began taking stock of his team when he arrived and knew there were areas that they needed to improve upon simply because of age or declining play. Linebackers, Wide Receivers, Running Backs, Cornerbacks, Offensive Line, and Defensive Line all would need upgraded in the not so distant future. He choose to really target the first 3 in his drafting strategy and to his credit those were areas of concern. Now with big names like Woodley, Timmons, Mendenhall, Redman, Sanders, and Brown all making an impact he then decided to move onto Cornerback, Offensive Line, and Defensive Line.

Therein lies the problem. The cornerback situation was addressed in the 2010 draft with good prospects, but it remains to be seen how they'll pan out. The issue here is that rather than rebuild this team from inside out and get the lines squared away, he choose to rebuild from the outside in and ignore the lines for too long. The fact is that you can have all the skill position players you want, all the shut down corners, fast WR's, accurate Quarterbacks, pro bowl running backs, but if your interior line can't do it's job, none of that matters. .

Hampton, Smith, and Farrior are all showing their age in a big way this season. The offensive line is just plain offensive. Even Maurkice Pouncey has seemed to digress. Marcus Gilbert is a project, Colon is hurt again, and Jonathan Scott is not the answer at LT. The list goes on and on.

Bill Cowher used to spend atleast 1 premium pick on an offensive lineman, or bring in a top free agent to help bolster the line. However in the latter years of his tenure, that stopped as well. The Steelers are paying the price for allowing themselves to get old, slow, and just plain out talented on both sides of the ball. It's painfully obvious that while all those players he has drafted are doing great, the plan from the get go should have been to revamp the offensive and defensive lines and then work your way out. A great interior can make up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere.

Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward should have a bright future but they are still learning. Marcus Gilbert is a project but could be special in the coming years. In the meantime expect to see more struggles from what an area that should have never been ignored for as long as it has been.

The Steelers are not going to get fixed overnight, because they weren't broken overnight.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-02-2011 at 08:33 PM.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Good article Matt!!

I just don't understand what Tomlin and the front office see what we don't see???
    It's plain smash me in the face obvious that only 1 maybe 2 OLmen should be there....this is a serious problem when you invest $100 million dollars in a QB.

Are they waiting till Ben has a season injury to address the problem?? I just don't get it. This is a REAL problem..has been for years yet they just slide by with the mentalilty that "we won a SB with a crappy Oline...we can do it again". As I've said before...this doesn't seem as it will be addressed until Ben gets hurt...shame shame shame.

I don't know what to say about our D...it's shameful and they have no heart.

BA needs to go..there is no way this man can stay one more year....

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You wonder if Ben were to actually go down with a season ending injury or miss significant time that perhaps it would finally make the light bulb turn on for the front office.

At this point if they don't have the money to spend on a guy like Flozell for example then you can justify letting someone else to free it up. Honestly it's really at that point with this group. You're QB's are getting killed, you have no running game.

As Tomlin would say...We'll stay the course though, do what we do As we watch our offense continue to crumble.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    You wonder if Ben were to actually go down with a season ending injury or miss significant time that perhaps it would finally make the light bulb turn on for the front office.

At this point if they don't have the money to spend on a guy like Flozell for example then you can justify letting someone else to free it up. Honestly it's really at that point with this group. You're QB's are getting killed, you have no running game.

As Tomlin would say...We'll stay the course though, do what we do As we watch our offense continue to crumble.
    Exactly Matt!! And i posted that in another thread...the light will not come until THEY have caused Ben some serious..serious injury, to me this is really sad and unexcusable.
    Ben can't take this punishment much longer and rather he should not have to. It's selfish to me. Pay Woodley, Timmons, Troy and others less money and buy this man a damn good Oline.....Oh now im more pissed!!!

My Mood
    no mood
    I think they are a victim of their own success. Each year we made the playoffs and superbowl with sub par line play. Each year we witnessed it slowly get worse. We always kept winning despite our O-line play, so each year less and less money went to the line and was given to other areas. This year we decide to keep Colon and Pouncey and fill the rest of our line with league minimum players in hopes that Ben and the RB's could over come adversity like the previous years.

The cap added another obstacle this year. I think even the Rooneys was caught off guard with how low the cap fell. After making the signings and restructuring of contracts it left us extremely low and unable to make a decent push for decent linemen. I think they did a decent job trying to get under the number and signing who they did with one exception. We gave 3 mil to Cotchery, now don't get me wrong I love the guy. The problem with that signing is we have good depth at WR, and I thought the money could have been used to help out the line. your not going to get much for that 3 mil, but you could have maybe brought in someone to help fill a void for a year.

Right now OL is the biggest need, but I also think we will need more LB's, and DL depth next year after some retirements and cuts which I believe are coming.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

My Mood
    Chatty
    True...but what good is a $100 million dollar franchise QB with broken legs or worse...

Thread Information