Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive blame falls on the guys you love the most

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Defensive blame falls on the guys you love the most

You can't blame this one on Will Gay, Ryan Clark, or Keenan Lewis. Thank goodness the Texans didn't bother passing that much today, they didn't need to.

The defensive blame for this one falls squarely on the guys you love the most. The guys that have helped propel our beloved Steelers to 2 super bowls and 3 appearances. Guys' who's jersey's you wear every Sunday. Players who are legendary among Steelers fans and ones you thought would last forever.

James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Larry Foote. These are guys that we all thought were timeless, invincible, ones that will "find a way to make a play".

Did the Steelers let Hampton, Farrior, and Smith hang on a year too long? It would appear so atleast through the first quarter of the 2011 season. That's not something you normally see out of this team. They make a living out of letting guys go at just the right time. I attribute guys like Farrior and Hampton, and Smith still being around to the front office not getting competent reserves as much as an anything.

As much as you hate to do it, Lebeau falls into this blame too. He can only do so much with the players he has but perhaps he expected more out of his veterans than what he is getting as well.

I place the majority of the blame on 98 and 91: They don't occupy blocks, they don't collapse the pocket and they don't stop the run. I love both of these guys, but they look like five years passed between last season and this year.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The truth of this makes me die a little inside..

The defensive line has played almost as pathetic as the O line. Seriously...

My Mood
    Addicted
    lewis had a nice breakup on a long pass play...i looked at my buddy and said, "if that was gay, that would have been a TD"

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblk&gld View Post
    lewis had a nice breakup on a long pass play...i looked at my buddy and said, "if that was gay, that would have been a TD"
    That was nice, but the weak spot of our secondary has never been sideline passes. I don't think the weak spot of any secondary is sideline passes, really. A pass down the middle with Lewis having single coverage on pretty much any reciever..eh, I'd be a little more nervous about that.
    Last edited by steelersbabex25; 10-02-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblk&gld View Post
    Right before the snap, I saw the matchup and knew exactly where they were going...I expected 6 points though so that was a pleasant surprise.

My Mood
    no mood
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post

Did the Steelers let Hampton, Farrior, and Smith hang on a year too long? It would appear so atleast through the first quarter of the 2011 season. That's not something you normally see out of this team. They make a living out of letting guys go at just the right time. I attribute guys like Farrior and Hampton, and Smith still being around to the front office not getting competent reserves as much as an anything.
    Smith, Hampton, Farrior, Foote should be their last years. I don't have a problem with Farrior getting subbed. I do have a problem with it being Foote. Get some of the younger guys some reps like we been saying.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelJunkie View Post
    Smith, Hampton, Farrior, Foote should be their last years. I don't have a problem with Farrior getting subbed. I do have a problem with it being Foote. Get some of the younger guys some reps like we been saying.
    Hampton? I think Hampton still has a few years left in him.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Hampton? I think Hampton still has a few years left in him.
    Maybe as a competitive eater.

Thread Information