Thread: The Steelers run game needs Isaac Redman

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

The Steelers run game needs Isaac Redman

Mendenhall - 9 carries for 25 yds.
    Redman - 6 carries for 40 yds
    Moore - 4 carries for 34 yds.

With the Steelers offensive line the way it is, the only clear choice at running back now needs to be Isaac Redman. I like Mendenhall, I've always been a supporter, however it's clear that Redman has a knack for getting the job done behind a line like the Steelers have.

For whatever reason, Rashard has been taking a page out of Dancing with the Stars. He's not hitting the hole, not seeing the field, and just getting stopped time after time. Redman is able to take the handoff and hit the ground running. 1 move and right up the field. He's able to break tackles, run hard, and find the lanes needed to make the play. He doesn't stop moving his legs, that's the big difference I see between the 2.

Rashard left the game with a hamstring which gave way to Red for more playing time. As of now Mendy's status is up in the air but clearly the Steelers need to see what's working and what isn't right now. Isaac is working...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Um..I kind of like him more than Mendenhall....

My Mood
    Addicted
    Duh...been saying this...I hate arians

His success this game had nothing to do with him... Look at his numbers from last week against the colts.

The plays Arians called at the beginning of the 2nd half had a lot to do with it. Not to praise Arians, but he had some good half time adjustments in the running game. He has his moments of genius... sometimes...

My Mood
    no mood
    I like them both but lets be honest the blocking was better in the 3rd quarter. Even moore had some nice runs. Now if the did that all game all RB's numbers would have been up.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Um..I kind of like him more than Mendenhall....

I honestly like them both, but the way the Steelers offense is right now they need a guy like Redman to carry the load. He's old school and that helps when you have a line that can't block. If Mendy gets a line with good blocking he can be outstanding, but that isn't the case by any stretch. Last year he only average 3.9 yds per carry I believe.

Do the right thing Arians, get Redman in the game and see what happens. You certainly can't do any worse.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Arians calls have nothing to do with the fact that redman has no problem finding the hole when mendy can't...or the fact that he keeps his legs churning and doesn't just fall when he gets hit

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblk&gld View Post
    Arians calls have nothing to do with the fact that redman has no problem finding the hole when mendy can't...or the fact that he keeps his legs churning and doesn't just fall when he gets hit
    Exactly. I said it in the gameday thread, I'll say it here. When Mendenhall runs into a pile, it's like he's running into a brick wall. He slinks to the ground, and that's it. No gain, or a run for a loss.

I'm sorry, the excuse that the blocking was better in the second half? That's weak. That was still the Steelers offensive line out there. They didn't just transform into Jon Kolb, Sam Davis, Ray Mansfield, and Mike Webster out there.

Refreshing whenever you see a running back who runs through holes and follows blockers. Redman and Moore both looked solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblk&gld View Post
    Still, putting Redman as the starter wont get him yards if there is no hole.
    There were no holes in the first half, but there were some huge holes in the 2nd half, even Moore basically walked through a couple bit ones.

Running backs have to be talented to get 4+ yards a carry when the offensive line sucks.

Arians called some plays where he had a tight end and a guard pull from the left side to the right side to help create the holes. Arians did not call this type of play in the first half, and has rarely called this type of play in general. That huge run in overtime against the falcons last year was the exact same play that Moore and Redman had their 15+ yard runs.

Thread Information