Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O-Line Struggles Are On Colbert

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

O-Line Struggles Are On Colbert

This is certainly not the first or last thread to place blame for this joke of an offensive line on "GM" Kevin Colbert, but I dug a little deeper and this won't surprise you. Let's not forget that Colbert was the director of scouting for the Detroit Lions for the decade of the 1990's. While he was not the man who made the draft selections each year, the top scout certainly has a large amount to do with each selection. Going back and looking at the Lions drafting over that time (hold all jokes please), it's obvious that Colbert and his Lions' cohorts completely ignored the offensive line so why should we be surprised by the neglect for our own O-line?

If you're incredibly bored, here is the link. Otherwise, please note the only lineman drafted during his time worth a damn was Jeff Hartings who became a damn fine Steeler.

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/his...1990-1999.html

Colbert was brought in at a time when Bill Cowher was angling to be the GM as well as being HC. Makes me wonder if he was nothing more than a 'yes' man under Cowher and is now asserting himself under the Tomlin regime.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

I get what you're saying but isn't it Tomlin that keeps saying they will not go outside for line help?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I get what you're saying but isn't it Tomlin that keeps saying they will not go outside for line help?
    I've heard that, but if that's the case then just how much should we start questioning Tomlin then?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    I've heard that, but if that's the case then just how much should we start questioning Tomlin then?
    A ton IMO, he deserves it... There's no excuse for this mess, I've said it B4 the Ravens went shopping / cutting and now have a very solid line and team. Those guys were out there for us too!

Tomlin may have sunk the ship with this decision!

We have way too many weapons to of only put 10 points up yesterday!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

A ton IMO, he deserves it... There's no excuse for this mess, I've said it B4 the Ravens went shopping / cutting and now have a very solid line and team. Those guys were out there for us too!

Tomlin may have sunk the ship with this decision!

We have way too many weapons to of only put 10 points up yesterday!
    Your last point is the most damning. All this talent and nothing to show for it. Just goes to show how valuable even average O-linemen can be. If this team is not shaken up (starting with the OC) next season I will voluntarily enter the mental facility.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Tomlin is in denial completely. If you listen to him after the game he continues to sit there and say we gotta tackle better and do things fundamentally better. He continues to overlook that the team as a whole on both offense and defense needs personnel changes. Guys like Worilds,Heyward, Sylvester and even McClendon need more time on defense as opposed to a guy like Larry Foote getting more playing time.

I was reading this AM that Ben missed a number of check down reads looking for the big play, he also needs to do things better to help is line.

Another thing that absolutely bothers the hell out of me is why did they go into halftime running the hurry up very well then come out to not do it again??

Why NO roll outs, this 3 step 5 step sacked stuff is getting old!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If we're going to blame the front office for not addressing the offensive line, then we should be blaming the scouts as well. These are the guys that go out and find the talent that is drafted. Granted they can only do so much but the amount of misses this team has had on the OL and in general on the traditional day 2 draft picks is staggering.

In the article I wrote last evening, you can't build a team from the outside in. All the skill position players in the world don't make up for an interior that can do their job. It all starts and stops with the offensive and defensive lines.

I was reading this AM that Ben missed a number of check down reads looking for the big play, he also needs to do things better to help is line.

Another thing that absolutely bothers the hell out of me is why did they go into halftime running the hurry up very well then come out to not do it again??

Why NO roll outs, this 3 step 5 step sacked stuff is getting old!!
    When you have 1 second to make a play.. the only check down ben has is to check for the turfs quality of greensmanship...

I said before this all started... Get a FA OL player and a FA CB.... but we dont have the money... well, now we spent 123 million on players and we have nothing.. we need to cut the old guys and bring in a few FA's and let our draft picks start playing..

oh well.... reality is upon this team... and fire arians..

It is and it doesn't feel real well!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information