Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers at crossroads

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Steelers at crossroads

I can't find anything in the article to disagree with. at 2-2 we still have time to fix this, if we act now!! It isn't a matter of getting back to basics or making a slight adjustment here and there. This team is in serous trouble. Our QB is about to end up on IR..

HOUSTON — One cringe-worthy, panoramic scan of the Steelers' locker room at Reliant Stadium told the story late Sunday afternoon.

In one corner, nose tackle Casey Hampton was bristling when asked how the once-proud, now-porous defense could possibly — even mathematically — allow Houston's offense to go 115 yards on 19 plays for its first drive.

In another, $61 million linebacker LaMarr Woodley was explaining his whereabouts during the game. I missed the alibi.

In another, tight end Heath Miller was speaking the glaring truth of this ghastlier-than-the-score 17-10 loss to Houston: "It's fair to say every man in this room can improve."

And sitting all by himself, silent amid the carnage, was Ben Roethlisberger. But only after the quarterback was helped into the room by two team employees, his left ankle iced and bandaged.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers.
    Or as linebacker James Harrison summarized in what might soon appear on T-shirts in the Strip: "We stink."

If only everyone associated with the team could see that, maybe something could be done about it. As it is, the Steelers remain stuck in a Texas-sized state of denial. Most players talked about "just getting back to tackling," to borrow Woodley's term, or about other aspects of execution. Coach Mike Tomlin was no exception, saying, "We understand that our issues are fundamental. We've got to do the basic football things a little better than we are now."

Just fundamentals?
    A little better?
    Are you buying this?

Count me squarely in Harrison's corner. Yeah, the Steelers deserved the benefit of the doubt after Baltimore. Anything's possible in an opener. And yeah, I saw traces of encouragement in how the Steelers took care of Seattle and Indianapolis, despite the caliber of competition.

Not this one.
    This was a matchup against a legitimate if unspectacular opponent, and the Steelers earned a D-minus grade at best. This was a team that not only wasn't making plays but also looked like it was incapable of making them. This was a team that looked — all together now — old and slow, not to mention undisciplined, unmotivated and unprepared.

The Steelers could have shut everyone up, once and for all, about the age thing. Instead, they attached an exclamation point to it.
    Funny thing, though: The season isn't lost. Not yet, anyway. The record is 2-2, with Tennessee, Jacksonville and Arizona on the horizon. All kinds of Browns and Bengals remain. But Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert need to work off Harrison's evaluation rather than pretend that all they need are a few tackling drills on the South Side.

That means making real changes, and I can think of three places to start:

1. Find offensive tackles.
    Seriously, this is getting dangerous. Every snap Roethlisberger takes behind Trai Essex, Marcus Gilbert and any other tackle on this roster, he's another step closer to injured reserve. It doesn't have to be Max Starks or Flozell Adams. Hold open tryouts for exceptionally large men. Do something.

2. Reset the defensive line.
    The embarrassing run defense is the easiest to address. For all that Aaron Smith has achieved for the franchise, he's not getting it done now. Benching him would be silly, but spelling him and Brett Keisel after Keisel returns would put fresh, young Ziggy Hood and Cam Heyward on the field. That could help Woodley and the pass rush, too.
    This week, it was Arian Foster running for 155 yards. What will Chris Johnson do next week?

3. More Isaac Redman.
    Redman's talent doesn't compare to Rashard Mendenhall's, but it was impossible not to notice that Redman's entry in the second half — six carries, 40 yards — sparked the offense. He hit the holes with authority. He dragged guys with him. He looked like he wanted to be out there, for crying out loud.

From there, the Steelers must pick up their chins. They're either going to embrace one last chance to succeed with this not-so-long-ago illustrious group, or they're going to throw it away. People need to step up, and not just the battered quarterback.
    Safety Troy Polamalu was asked if the Steelers can recover.
    "I would hope," he replied softly. "Only time will tell if we answer the bell or not."
    Time isn't on their side.

From the Trib
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 10-03-2011 at 10:48 PM.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

Crossroads.?? Fire Arians and put a cross in the road outside Heinz Field.

A good old (no pun intended) house cleaning was in order... Instead they kept the scrubs and even resigned scrubs from within. FO / Tomlins fault this team is where it is right now...

They came out flat in the SB and through week 4 are still flat!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

The Steelers need to watch some wholesome television.

Change can be good when necessary.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Everything that Dejan points out is what the Steeler Nation has been saying all along. It's also what the coaches fail to realize. This is not rocket science here, you can't have allegiance to veteran players just because they are veterans.

If you don't perform, you don't keep your job. If they have no faith in the backups then either A. You should have brought in better talent over the years or B. They just aren't giving them a chance to see.

How much worse can it be right now if you put in Hood as the starter at LDE or give McLendon or Hoke more time at NT, or try out Sylvester in the middle by moving Timmons to Farrior's spot.

Little things like this might be a spark that this unit needs right now.

McLendon for me I saw Hoke flopping around way too much yesterday...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The entire defensive line has been flopping around, so to speak, LOL. McLendon did have a real good camp and preseason. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him get more experience. If it's possible he could be the future at NT then we are better off finding out now.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    The entire defensive line has been flopping around, so to speak, LOL. McLendon did have a real good camp and preseason. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him get more experience. If it's possible he could be the future at NT then we are better off finding out now.
    no kidding Matt, I never have seen a Steelers DL pushed around like this....I guess in 2007 when Aaron Smith was hurt for the season but man this current DL has been getting owned all season so far except for the Seahawks game.......

My Mood
    Sunshine
    The problem here is Mike Tomlin is the head coach and he is in way over his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

2nd String
    I hope not, I have grown to like the guy over the years. If anything, this will force him into doing something. What is the saying; "Doing something is better than doing nothing."

I don't know who to attribute this quote to, but one particular definition for insanity goes like this:

When one does the same thing over and over again repeatedly and expects different results."

Time to make some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    The problem here is Mike Tomlin is the head coach and he is in way over his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information