Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Steelers run game needs Isaac Redman

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Right, but any RB can excel when they have good blocking. I'll admit, I'm one of those people that once Mendenhall spins and finds an opening, I'm like "OMG HE'S DO GOOD!" And then when he spins and gets wrapped up for a loss of 3, I'm yelling, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! JUST HIT THE GUT!!!!" But, how many times really does the spin move get him far? Not many. How many times does it cause him to go down for a loss? A lot of times. That his problem. Once he stops, he's not gonna gain that kind of momentum again. Redman style of running is like, "well, don't see any holes, but my feet are already moving and they're not gonna stop."
    Mendenhall's moves can work very well in the open field, but that's just it: He's never in the open field. Go ahead and spin around behind the line, there are three d-linemen ready to wrap you up.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Something else interesting too, Redman appears to see the field better than Mendenhall does this year. His vision and finding the right crease to go after and then hitting it hard allows him to grind out those 1st downs. Rashard is capable of doing it, he's a very powerful back too, but for whatever reason he takes a second or two longer to decide and by then it's light out.

I love Redman and I do agree he should get more than just a few carries a game, but did you guys watch the same game I did? When Mendy was in there, there were no holes at all and the line was getting pushed back right off the snap. When Redman and Moore were in there, the line was opening holes and pushing the defense back. It seems as though they started pulling Kemo and others to the right as a lead blocker. They weren't doing that for Mendy. Open holes for Mendy and he'll have just as much success.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I saw what a real FB did for the Texans run game today. Vonte Leach was great clearing out holes
    I don't know who you saw but it wasn't Leach.

Vonte Leach was a great lead blocker for the Texans last year helping Arian Foster out, but he is on the Ravens this year helping out Ray Rice. Vonte Leach killed us in week 1.

I would love to see the Steelers go back to using a real FB.

Draft Pick
    I miss the days of the fullback as well.

Thread Information