Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor use of timeouts costly again

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Poor use of timeouts costly again

The Steelers use of timeouts this season has been dreadful to say the least. You burn 2 of them early in the 2nd half and you end up with only 1 in a close game. It's one thing to be up by 2 or 3 TD's and burn them. When you're down in the game, trying to claw you're way back, you need to be aware of what's going on and save those TD's.

When the Texans took over with about 2:46 to go the Steelers were already behind the 8 ball. When the stopped Foster on 3rd down they lost over 30 seconds in clock time.

That's as much the players not being aware of the game situation as it is the coaches not preparing them for what they'll see.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Awful awful awful coaching right there. In a game like that, I'd almost rather you take the 5 yards than use 2 timeouts that we could have used at the end of that game. Just more terrible clock management.

This has happened this whole season, I don't want to blame Arians, but I feel it's his fault, because the Steelers offense doesn't break the huddle until less than 10 seconds are left on the game clock...
    But there are also players who walk back to the huddle like Wallace, no offense to him, but he's the fastest player on the team but after every play he's walking to the huddle like he doesn't give a damn.

It is what it is...

(see what I did there?)
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Coaches get as much of the blame as the players do. They take entirely too long getting in and out of the huddle. They aren't aware of the play clock it would appear, at the worst times possible.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    It is what it is...

(see what I did there?)
    Good one.

Veteran
    I noticed this. Three times they were up to the line with only a few seconds left. That never happens to Brady. He's up there with 20 or more seconds like every play. Totally unacceptable, and potentially cost us the game.

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Bengals defeat the Bills so even if the Ravens lose tonight to the Jets the Steelers will be in last place in the AFC North because they only have 1 Afc conference win and the Browns Bengals and Ravens all have at least 2.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    Bengals defeat the Bills so even if the Ravens lose tonight to the Jets the Steelers will be in last place in the AFC North because they only have 1 Afc conference win and the Browns Bengals and Ravens all have at least 2.
    Wouldn't they be in last place no matter what happens between the Ravens and the Jets?

Can't say I was surprised. Time management has always been one of the biggest weaknesses for Tomlin.

Thread Information