Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers run defense not respected anymore

Bookmark and Share
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisoneguy555 View Post
    If Troy doesn't miss that tackle on that 42 yard run, it's a different story right now. Steelers stuffed Foster pretty much the entire 2nd half up until that run.
    Foster rushed for 155 yards on 30 carries and the Texans rushed for 180 total. That's not really stuffing anything, even if you take away that one run.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    And that 11 minute drive was really only the good on all game. The second touchdown drive was blown on one play. The first series of the game for the defense was really the only one I noticed where they really imploded. I'll take one bad series a game if you can give me 10 good ones.
    Eh.. The first drive was shared by Foster and Tate. I believe Foster had like 28y after that first drive. Then he broke a long one for 46y. He ran for 155y. That is still a significant amount of yards seeing they were gained over the course of 3 quarters, whereas Steelers had a very long drive to begin the third quarter.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Devilish
    this year is reminding me more and more of '88.

the steelers go 6-10, Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling(G.L.O.W.), Alf, GI Joe, my feathered mullet, chain wallet, leather jacket, high top reeboks, and that Metal up your *** t-shirt that almost got me suspended. lol

where DID i put that Appetite for Destruction tape?

Smith and Hampton do very little at this point. They don't collapse the pocket, they don't take on multiple blockers and they don't make the tackles they once did. If your defensive line does nothing, you're boned. Put the young guys in, because the vets aren't cutting it and you need to get these guys some reps because they'll be starting next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Foster rushed for 155 yards on 30 carries and the Texans rushed for 180 total. That's not really stuffing anything, even if you take away that one run.
    More than half of that was in the first 2 drives by the texans. Up until that 40 yard play, they made up for the mistakes and stuffed Foster most of the game. Even after that big run he was being stuffed.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    I hate to say this, and I may get chewed up for it, but I was kind of impressed with our rush defense more than I thought I would be. They screwed the pooch in the first half for sure, I mean Foster got almost 100 yards in 2 quarters. BUT they only allowed 10 points regardless of that, with the help of penalties or not, and that's something to be noted.

And yes, the 41 yard run in the second half was bad, but other than that they stopped everything coming their way in the most important times in the second half. They gave the offense multiple chances, time after time after time to win the game. I blame the offense 100% more than I blame the run defense. Not to mention Arian Foster is one of the top 5 rushers in the league. We aren't gonna see that kind of adversity every game.
    I certainly won't chew you up for it. Clearly they played like complete hell in the first half. They did step up in the 3rd quarter, very nicely done. That's the kind of run defense you love. However in the 4th quarter both Woodley and Polamalu blew it on that 42 yd Foster TD run. He was able to make some key runs after that as well.

So there were some glimpses of what we are used to seeing, but credit the Texans for coming back and countering what the defense tried to adjust too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisoneguy555 View Post
    More than half of that was in the first 2 drives by the texans. Up until that 40 yard play, they made up for the mistakes and stuffed Foster most of the game. Even after that big run he was being stuffed.
    Ben Tate had most of the rushing yards for the first drive. Sure, he did not break any "long" runs other than the 46y run, but he gained 4-5-6y very very often. And well, it is not brain surgery to figure that 3 of those runs will give a first down. I really believe that the Texans dominated this game much much more than the score indicates. They was very busy trying to beat themselves, but their running game was dominating us and keeping our offense off the field.

Also, even if most of the yards came from the first two series it does not really matter if those two drives take up like 20 minutes of a half :P
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The 3rd quarter was a clinic in Steelers football. The run defense was stout, the passing game was on, the line was blocking, secondary making plays, life was good. The fact that they allowed 150 yds rushing is pathetic. I don't care if most of it was 2 or 3 drives, the fact is they allowed it to happen and there's no excuse.

Teams don't care who the Steelers are anymore, the vaunted rush defense is a shell of it's former self. One good quarter does not make up for 3 quarters of bad plays. The final drive for the Texans where they stopped Foster on 3rd down, that's hardly cause for celebration. Everybody knew they were going to run and the Steelers sold out to stop it, that's not uncommon.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Look, this team has more then just the obvious problems. Teams are defensing the offense because it's predictable, there isn't any pre snap motion,..basically the whole offense needs to be overhauled. Period.

Bruce Arians needs to be dismissed. I can call every running play by formation and every passing play by formation basically.

And it's time to see if Redman/Dwyer can bring something to the running game. I've seen enough of Mendy.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Get Cam in the game

Thread Information