Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else noticing Maurkice Pouncey struggling a bit this season

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Anyone else noticing Maurkice Pouncey struggling a bit this season

I know the entire offensive line is a cluster right now, but last year it was too. Perhaps not quite so early on but still, it was musical chairs most of last season and he was a rookie. Now in 2011, there's been significant changes along the line already and Pouncey has been nicked up with a nagging ankle injury.

I've been watching him so far this year, and he seems to be struggling more than what I thought he would. Considering I didn't figure he'd be struggling much at all, it does throw up a red flag. The Ravens and Colts both have top defensive lines, and the Seahawks is above average, so he has been facing some stiff competition so far this year.

In 2010, the Steelers opened up with Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore. Decent opponents no doubt, but Maurkice seemed to hold his own rather well. Fast forward to 2011 and watching him, something is off. Perhaps it's his ankle bothering him. Perhaps it's just the Guards not giving him much help. Maybe it's both. Even when he's one on one with his man I've noticed him get beat a lot either by a bull rush where he's overpowered or by a stunt where there lineman just blows right by him.

Clearly he's the best option at Center, and I'm not suggesting he be replaced. However it's interesting that a guy who was so "on" last year is finding it a bit of a tough road so far.

Maybe the ankle injury is bothering him.

Rookie Free Agent SteelCurtain68's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy
    He does look slower. Perhaps that ankle is giving him trouble.

yeah i think the ankle is worse than he's letting on

My Mood
    Manic
    I think he's fine if the others on the line were doing there job it would more noticeble .When guys miss blocks and fall into you or get pushed around and knock you off your block it's hard to look good trust me. It's something you can only apprieciate if your doing it he was better last year cause the line was better mark my words if the line plays well this week or from now on no one will notice. Plus the ankle he will probably have offseason surgury to clean it out
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 10-02-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Note the turd to his right, he's now trying to do his job and the job of his RG.

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Note the turd to his right, he's now trying to do his job and the job of his RG.
    True that. Prime example week 1 on the first of our 7 turnovers pouncey was helping legs with ngata allowing suggs to stunt inside clean forcing the fumble. Suggs coming through the middle is pouncey's assignment but legs has no shot at blocking ngata by himself at all whatsoever........

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I've noticed he have been playing with one of the worst o-lines in NFL. Sadly, one person can only do so much and Pouncey is constantly being forced to handle at least two persons because of the total lack of skill on both guard positions.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Chatty
    I also agree his ankle is bother him as well..perhaps he's compensating for a lack of Oline!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm sure he feels the pressure to step up his game to try and compensate for the lack of production for some of the other players. He'd never admit that but you have to think he's maybe trying to press too much.

Thread Information