Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall blames Arians

Bookmark and Share

Mendenhall blames Arians

Rashard Mendenhall said he has never felt more confident and is "as ready as I've ever been." Yet a season after finishing seventh in the NFL with almost 1,300 rushing yards, the Steelers' fourth-year back is on pace to run for just under 800 yards.

Something doesn't add up when it comes to the workhorse of a ground game that can't seem to get going.

"It's a lot bigger than one person," Mendenhall said Wednesday. "It's a whole mindset. It's a whole attack from the top, offensive coordinator (Bruce Arians), plays that are called that matches what we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be successful."

The Steelers are 23rd in the NFL in rushing offense (85.7 yards per game). Mendenhall is averaging just 3.0 yards per carry.

Asked if the struggles stem from becoming a pass-first offense — the Steelers have run 42 percent of the time through three games — Mendenhall said, "We're just running what's called. We're the low men on the totem pole, and we're just trying to carry out what our duties are."

Mendenhall rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter and said the lack of production is a "frustrating thing." But he took a big-picture approach.

"Obviously, our running game is not up to par, and we want to work on it, but we're winning games first and foremost," the Steelers' first-round pick in 2008 said. "We're not panicking."

Roethlisberger last week said he had no concerns about the running game. But three days after the Steelers managed just 67 rushing yards against the Colts, Roethlisberger couldn't offer how jump-start the ground game.

"I am not the run-game guru," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if it's blocking better, longer, running. Honestly, I don't know."

Perhaps the most surprising thing about the Steelers' running-game shortcomings: All signs pointed to Mendenhall building on last season, when he rushed for the seventh-most yards in franchise history and came within one score of trying Franco Harris' record 14 rushing touchdowns in a season.

Arians praised Mendenhall during training camp and before the season opener said the offense would run through Mendenhall.

Mendenhall said there is still plenty of time for the running game to get going.

"I feel like I'm the best player I've ever been because I work at it and where I'm at experience-wise," Mendenhall said. "I think those things will show in time."

Oh ****!! Mendy has done the unthinkable, MT will have a fit now! hahahahahahaah I love it! BA you are an f'n idiot!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

right latrobe... it is about time someone said something finally... arians will respond.. redman will get more time now...

It's a system flaw, it's predictable playcalling, it's poor execution, it's mediocre talent in the blocking game.

I respect the fact that Mendenhall did it tastefully and took the high road.

Rookie Free Agent
    We will see how the offense responds on SUnday to these comments. I roll my eyes now whenever Mendenhall says something publicly.
    http://www.FromThisSeat.com/index.ph...burgh-steelers
    "Tell Us About Your Seats at Heinz Field"

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    We will see how the offense responds on SUnday to these comments. I roll my eyes now whenever Mendenhall says something publicly.
    At least he didn't link BA to a terrorist group, or did he??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    At least he didn't link BA to a terrorist group, or did he??

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

I think this needed to be said, if we lose this week, I will expect more of the same forma few of the guys tbh

My Mood
    Addicted
    Wait, I may be an idiot. Where exactly does he blame Arians?

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Wait, I may be an idiot. Where exactly does he blame Arians?
    "It's a whole mindset. It's a whole attack from the top, offensive coordinator (Bruce Arians), plays that are called that matches what we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be successful."

>>>>plays that are called that matches what we have.

Thread Information