Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much more does Moore have in the tank?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question How much more does Moore have in the tank?

Does Mewelde make the team in 2011? Do you think he's got enough left in the tank to contribute next year or do the Steelers bring in another back, making Mendenhall & Redman the 1-2 punch and use a draft pick or free agent as a change of pace?

Moore proved in 2010 that he can still be a factor, especially late in the year and in the playoffs. He is still as good as anyone in the league in blitz pickup and has a knack of getting the first down on those toss sweeps, swing passes, or dump offs in the flat. He is a free agent and won't garner much in the way of offers from other teams, atleast not for big money. As far as I know he's pretty happy in Pittsburgh and wants to return in the future. So he won't cost much to bring him back but is it time to cut the ties, or atleast decrease his role to make way for Redman?

I really think Redman is up to the challenge next year. Up to this point Moore has been the one to spell Mendenhall at various times in the game, but I think Redman is up for the task and has earned the chance to take over that role. Mendenhall is the complete package with speed, power, agility, and quickness all rolled up into one. Redman has the power and the ability to find the small gap and get that first down. I think he could excel with more playing time.

My Mood
    Addicted
    A. Clever title. B. I've always liked MeMo. He's always where he's supposed to be and I can recall several times when he's gotten Ben out of some sticky situations. That being said, of course he isn't that desired by any teams in the NFL. Will the Steelers pay a lot to keep him? No. But I doubt that any other team would pay much more to acquire him. I think he retires a Steeler.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Well Moore is only 29 without the heavy use, he's a great role player ( as long as BA isn't calling delayed draw plays ) .

I'd like to see him return but a lot will depend on Redman ,Dwyer and the draft.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

I like Moore and I consider him one of the reasons why this team got to the Super Bowl against the Cardinals. That said, it may be time to move on. Mendenhall is beginning to show promising signs with his blocking/catching and Redman is a quality short yardage back. I would not mind seeing what Dwyer has to offer as a change of pace and I liked what I saw with his limited play this season. I think this team is deep at RB and Moore may not be the asset he once was.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    It's a good question and one I know we discussed briefly on the podcast (shameless plug) a couple of times. I agree with Rampage that he was a huge part of the run to SB XLIII and probably doesn't get the credit he deserves for that. He and Red seem to be different types of backs although Red showed some flash catching the ball especially against the Ravens. I was thinking that MeMo was more banged up than we thought because I really didn't think he got the touches he should have. Depending on the draft and FA, he could be a welcome returnee.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Starter
    Moore has his moments, but he is just so unexplosive .. i would rather have a guy that can come in and make plays vs just not making mistakes ..

The real question is do we bring in a kicker in the offseason? Suisham was wretched in the playoffs. That 52 yard field goal in the SB was a dumb decision by Tomlin, but it wasn't even close. I'm not sure if he would have hit a 30 yarder with that kick.

I like the guy, he's smart (actually graduated with a business degree from Tulane), well prepared, and pretty tough for a small guy. I bet Tomlin wants him around.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tomlin does indeed like Memo alot, and I agree with the rest of you that he was a big reason we got to the Super Bowl last year. He's been a frills type of guy since he came here. He's a team player, keeps his mouth shut, and does his job everytime he goes onto the field.

The only reason that I would say he doesn't come back is that I think perhaps Redman is suffering a bit being used only as a short yardage back. He is very good at it but I don't think we've tapped his full potential yet. I would hate to see him leave at some point and become a big time player somewhere else, just because Moore is still here. Nobody knows for sure if that is/would be the case though. There's a lot of things to consider with Redman and Moore this coming year in terms of who will get the main job of spelling Mendenhall. All in all I would just like to see Redman get that backup job and hold onto it.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post
    Moore has his moments, but he is just so unexplosive .. i would rather have a guy that can come in and make plays vs just not making mistakes ..
    even though mistakes are what cost us the SB? give me slow and steady over super fast and mistake riddled.

Thread Information