When I hear the league and Goodell talk about the future of the league I have to call them "flat out liars" who are taking advantage of the fans love of the game of football.
PLAYER SAFETY?................BULL CRAP!
1. If the league was really interested in player safety, they would crack down on HGH and PED use instead of making token shows of effort while turning a blind eye! Players are being hurt because there are 250 pound linebackers with the speed and agility of 190 pound wide receivers and the strength of 320 pound linemen.
2. If the league was really interested in player safety, they would stop making the game so offensively imbalanced! They change rules every year which restrict the defensive players and put the emphasis on scoring, then they act like QB's are being abused? The offensive imbalance is requiring QB's to throw more, hold the ball longer, and take more of a pounding!
3. If the league was really interested in player safety, they would NEVER want an 18 game season due to the attrition of a brutal game!
GOOD FOR THE FANS?........BULL CRAP!
1. Ever wonder just why an owner is willing to pay a #1 draft pick more than his most proven players? Because he (the owner) will make millions on ticket and jersey sales! But is it good for the team to pay so much to a guy who has never played a down? Is it good for the team to tie up all that money when operating in a salary cap? Is it good for the "product on the field"? Isn't the objective, from a fan's point of view, to put a winning team on the field?
2. The idea of putting an NFL team in Europe is touted as "good for the fans" yet we hear every year how difficult it is to travel from coast to coast and play on Sunday......what about the team who will have to travel "continent to continent" 8 times per year? There is one reason for this and it's MONEY in the leagues pocket!
3. Goodell says, as his reason for an 18 game schedule, is that he heard the fans "loud and clear" that they didn't like paying full price for pre-season games. How about just lowering the price of pre-season games? How about just reducing the number of pre-season games?
Make no mistake about it! The lock-out was due to "league greed" trying to milk every nickel out of the fans love-affair with what "the players" do on the field.
1. The league wanted the players to give back 1 billion dollars!
2. The league said "we're losing money"......despite the stadiums being full, jersey sales are through the roof, and TV contracts out the wazoo!.............. "but we refuse to show you our books to substantiate it". To put this in perspective, this would be like your income, as a shoe salesman, being based on gross sales and your boss coming to you and saying you need to take a pay cut because sales are down. Yet the store is filled all day, every day, with customers and there is a line around the block of more customers! And to top it off, your boss refuses to show you the sales receipts on which your income is supposedly based!
3. Yes the players are overpaid, but by comparison to the irresponsible spending and lavish income of the league, it's miniscule!
Are we headed down the path of the NHL and NBA?