Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Marty get fired now..

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Man, I don't know if you can pin that one yesterday on Marty. They had quite a few bad breaks (muffed punt, stripped interception) that coaches can't really do anything about. They haven't really played Marty since that loss to the birds.
    I thought he made some questionable calls but for the most part I don't blame him for the loss. The Chargers just failed to put the Pats away when they had every chance to do so. Now I have to go to work tomorrow and listen to all these stupid Pats fans up here!

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevestinks View Post
    I agree, and plan on moving back in the next 5-6 years anyway. Besides if say a Rivera opted for SD, he may miss out on Perogies, and Roethlisburgers!
    Again with the food....you're relentless!

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
    The one thing Marty has been getting ripped for today on all the sports media shows is the Challenge on the interception then strip and fumble by Marlon McCree.
    That lost timeout really came back to bite Marty and the Chargers in the *** in their last posession.
    I couldn't believe it when he challenged that???!! What could they have possibly seen that they thought could be overturned? That definately hurt them.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    Mabye he didn't think 4 running strides and possesion constituted a 'football move.'

I don't think that 'one' play lost it for them though. It certainly didn't help their situation, but wasn't the sole reason for the loss.

Chokenheimer.

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by BR-7 View Post
    Mabye he didn't think 4 running strides and possesion constituted a 'football move.'

I don't think that 'one' play lost it for them though. It certainly didn't help their situation, but wasn't the sole reason for the loss.

Chokenheimer.

You mean run 4 wides?? The Chargers do that then the Pats easily close off the sidelines and keep everything in the middle of the field....the clock can't be stopped....game over.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This game was a combination of Marty and the inexperience of Philip Rivers. That last drive with a minute to go they wasted WAY too much time getting to the line and getting the play off, that falls on the QB. The challenge was bone head decision for sure. The muffed punt wasn't Marty's fault, he didnt make the player drop it. Also that DL for the chargers who head butted the Pats player on 3rd down and got flagged for 15 yds and kept the Pats drive alive and they got 3 more points out of it.

It was just a bad day all around for everyone except LT, but in the end to many mistakes killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevestinks View Post
    If your Rivera, if thats who we want, what job is more appealing to you.

A damn good Steelers team with great ownership and front office

Or a damn good SD team with an MVP, and sunshine!
    That's a tough call setting my Steelers hat aside for a minute and looking a this as a perspective coach for both teams... Wow, that is a damn good question Cleve!

Both teams are Super Bowl ready although the Steelers have taken a step back with now needing an OC. Both have good QB's, both have good defenses, both have awesome running backs with one of them coming off an MVP season... if I was all about security and keeping my job I would say the Steelers job would be best. However, if I wanted to get into the coaching position do my thing, try and win a quick SB or really suck and get fired and hope to land somewhere else then I would have to say the Chargers

Update: I heard on ESPN News on my way home tonight that Marty will be back for one more year however, he did turn down a 1 year extension.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    ESPNews reports San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer will be retained and coach the team for the 2007 season. Schottenheimer declined a one-year, $4.5 million extension that included a $1 million buy-out option for the team.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    So he's giving it another go then eh? Im glad for him, for all his shortcomings and coaching blunders the guy got real close this year with a very young team. Maybe he'll learn from his mistakes ?

well ok maybe not...

Thread Information